cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ralph1955

How I got Hooked

It was 1969 and my Jr High School year was coming to an end and I would be starting High School after summer vacation.  I was Petrified.  I was the typical kid who was bullied from elementary school right through high school.  Definitely Not one of the cool kids.

I grew up in an Italian neighborhood in Corona, Queens NY and until this day think of that as the best time of my life.  Surrounded by all my family it truly was a safe haven for me.  When we moved to Long Island in 1965 everything changed and almost immediately became a target for bullying for so many foolish reasons; I was Italian, I was small and I was a good, respectful kid.

So now I had to figure out a way to fit in and hopefully become friends with some of the school bullies for my own protection.  Most of my classmates were already smoking while they were in Jr High so I thought, hmmm that might make me cool.  I began smoking on summer vacation and it was horrible but I continued until I became used to it.  Unfortunately by the time school started again I was a pack a day smoker.  Long story short, I didn't become one of the cool kids and now smoking helped me cope with the bullying I faced on a daily basis.

I think most of us have a 'this is why I began smoking' story and looking back 50 years later I now realize I was foolish to start and to think smoking was 'Cool'.  Now I'm here today, 50 years later, celebrating my One Year Anniversary as a non smoker.

NOW, I'm Cool

How did everyone else start?

Tags (1)
13 Replies
elvan

Congratulations on one year...I think we all pretty much started the same way.  It was to be part of something.  I hated it, it tasted terrible and made me dizzy but, by God, I was determined.  NOW, we are cool!

Ellen

DonnaMarie

Pretty much the same. It was almost expected. It was cool. Everyone did it. I kept it up and not everyone else did.

Donna

Day 211

Sootie

CONGRATS on ONE YEAR!!!!!! Hope you are soooooo proud of yourself. And HEY!!! There is NOTHING better to be proud of than quitting smoking AAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDD

BEING ITALIAN!!!!  And-----short! I can claim all three of those along with you.

Strangely----I started smoking on a school trip to Canada.....a student exchange trip. I was miserably unhappy and some of the guys from my school who were also on the "exchange" and already smoked bought some Canadian cigarettes ( which came in flat boxes). We would all meet at exchange family meetings and we were all pretty homesick. They smoked....I thought....maybe it would help (WHY? WHO KNOWS? I was 16......nothing makes sense at 16). I only smoked in Canada...not when I got back home. But then, when I went away to college and was again homesick, cigarettes seemed to be "tied" to getting over homesickness (even thought they HAD NOT helped in Canada) and we were off to the races.

Ralph-----enjoy this great milestone.

HealthyOrange

Congratulations on one year, Ralph!!  What a HUGE accomplishment.  I hope you celebrate with something special.