cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

janetgran

Hi, everyone. I'm new here, and this is my first forum - please be patient with me as I learn.

I will be 58 years old in May, and have been smoking since I was 13.  I smoked 2 packs a day for most of my adult life, and even though I know I really need to quit, I have not yet been able to "visualize" myself as a non-smoker.  My husband and I both quit on Jan. 25; I used the patch, and he quit cold turkey.  He is still off the cigarettes, but I am not.  I am down to the 7 mg patch, and have been on that dose for several weeks, and I am smoking perhaps 5 to 6 cigs a day, a puff or two at a time. 

I am going to contact the Montana Quit Line today and see if I can get another script of the patches and start over. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
tigress

Hang in there! I have not smoked in almost 2 years.  I smoked for over 50 years and when I quit I was smoking 2-3 packs a day. I got me a box of commit losenges(I think they are called something else now)  but I didn't even finish the box.  I had tried several times before and remembered everything I had learned and used them all.  I still have some hairy times and want a cigarette, but I love to breathe .  I have asthma and have had since I was a baby.  Imagine what smoking did for that!

0 Kudos
janetgran

Thanks so much for the support!  I called the quit line yesterday, and patches are on the way, along with weekly counseling sessions by phone.......this has just got to be the time that works!

0 Kudos
TL_3

Congratulations on your decision.    There is a lot of really good information for you to read.   Read as much as you can about what will happen to your body over the next day, week, month and longer.   Understand the chemical changes that you will have and what your triggers are.   I am not an expert, but I know to come to this site a couple of times a day and just read.  

I am coming up on day 60 this week and really can not believe it took me 30 years to quit.  This site and all I have learned have made this the  best experience and it is great to say that I do not smoke.  

0 Kudos
Yaya2.6.10

Welcome!  We all hang out in Blogs.  You will find lots more to read there and get more responses to whatever you post.  Also, if you fill out the "about me" section of your page, it will make it easier for folks to relate to you. 

0 Kudos
tayasgram

Hi all ! Here I am-Day ONE. Wish me luck. I am 61 years old, smoked since I was 14, and have tried to quit 5 or 6 times with no sucess. I have to go cold turkey cause I really can't afford to buy the patches or lozenges or pills. I live in a house with three other smokers. Luckily, I do not allow smoking in the house, so if  stay inside I can avoid the direct contact, but it's really hard knowing that somebody in the next room has a WHOLE CARTON of cigarettes, and I have none.

0 Kudos