cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

roxie-girl

Help what can I do.

I just sign up and I keep trying to quit but I just keep buying the more.  When I think about quiting the more I smoke.  Sometimes I cry because I'm afraid that I will not live long enough to see some of my grandkids grow up.  I already feel that it is too late because I get short of breath at times.  I do have some nicotene gum .  I know the only way I am going to quit is to just stop buying them.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
kristopher

Roxie, I'm only twenty two and I've been smoking for five years.  I get short of breath sometimes, too.  It's definitely not too late for me and it isn't too late for you.  Don't hide the way cigarettes make you feel - share this with the people in your life and you will get the support you need!  You've got my vote of confidence!

0 Kudos
roxie-girl

I write something then I hit the wrong button.  I have smoked for 35 years so it easier for you.  I wrote about my stressful life on my blog because I think I needed to get  it off my chest to get on with my new journey. It is the stress of your life you have to deal with to and that makes it even harder.  Thank you for replying  I have 2 cigs left the trick is to stay away from the gas station.

0 Kudos
linder2

Hey Roxie Girl! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! I know how hard it is to start. For the last 2 weeks I would only but 1 pack at a time, because I was going to quit the next day. I did this for over 2 weeks. Then on Monday night I had 4 cigarettes left and I decided I WOULD start, or should I say stop on Tuesday. I still cried, its like losing a friend that was always there for me, it didn't judge me, but it really didn't help me either. I thought it was what calmed me down when I was stressed out, or kept me from overeating. But guess what it wasn't. Just taking a 5 minute break from whatever was happening at that time is what changed the situation, not that dawg-gone cigarette!  So remember its really on 5 minutes at a time that will be hard for you, and you can handle 5 minutes! Go for it!! I wish you peace, strength and all the confidence you need! Blessings~Linda

0 Kudos
elizabetty

You can and will quit when you want to bad enough. One of my favorite quotes is "Change becomes possible when the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of change"

Your having the desire to quit enough to sign up on this site is HUGE. Practice becoming aware of your success! Forgive yourself for smoking. Utilize this site to understand your addiction as it is similar but different for everyone of us. I honestly beleive anyone can quit. You can do it!

My dad used to smoke 3 packs a day for over 20 years. One day we were at the drive in movies and he was having a cigarette in the front seat. he looked in the side mirror and saw my sister who was 3 years old at the time leaning out the back window using her finger as a cigarette and was smoking too. He put out that cigarette and never smoked another one. For him, that was his moment. Mine wasn't as defining. I saw the ad on TV for this site and thought to myself I really want to quit and I think this can help. For me the support is the key!

You have support here. We are on this journey too so you are not alone! You matter and this isn't easy for everyone so be gentle with yourself.

0 Kudos

it isnt any easier or harder for someone who has smoked 5 years or 35 years.

these kind of unfounded beliefs are why 85% of people can't quit.

they brainwash themselves and sabotage thier quits before they even start

0 Kudos
roxie-girl

Well it's 5pm only had about a half a pack tomorrow will be the day I keep saying that but I guess if I want 2 give in I will just come here for support to keep going thanks you guys I know there is people out there who really care .  So I may be onwhen I  get up around 9 or 10 am that is when I really want to lite up.

0 Kudos
AutumnWoman

Roxie Girl: In recovery circles there is a saying that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.  You don't seem like you're insane to me, so I was going to ask you what you could do differently to help yourself.  You've got the answer:  instead of lighting up, you're going to come here tomorrow.  Now you need to come up with a whole list of things you can do instead of smoke to get you through tomorrow.  And when you get through a day without a smoke, tell yourself you are going to repeat your success.  If taking a shower first thing in the morning or washing the breakfast dishes works for you, then do that. Every time you succeed, make a note of what you did and put it into your box of anti-smoking ammunition.

0 Kudos