cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

t-monster

Hello, trying to quit yet again

I have been smoking since I was 15 years old. About a pack a day except when life gets stressful then its more. I'm 32 now with two kids one of which I just had.

I have been thinking about quiting for some time and actually did while I was pregnant, but afterwards boy I tell you I just needed to keep calm and that cig just was the key.

I am very worried about cancer since it seems to plague my family in the worst way. So, to quit this time it could work, I just need to find a way to not be stressed.

My husband is a non smoker so he has no Idea how hard this will be. Its funny cause he thinks its as easy as 123. NOT
0 Kudos
4 Replies
polly2

Hi there! It seems to me that you should start working the EX plan if you haven't already. That will help you to identify your triggers, track the amount that you smoke and will teach you how to distract yourself from smoking when a trigger pops up.

If you have cancer in your family, then you should take this very seriously. This is an awesome site for support. I've stopped smoking many times before, but did it without any support. The support I have received here has made all of the difference in the world!! You need people who understand how you feel, so that you never feel alone!!

Let us all know when you do decide on a date to stop! We'll be more than happy to help you through this -- this is a We program, as in we all work together to help one another! Congratulations on your decision to stop smoking!! I hope to see you here in the near future as a bonafide EX!! Take care and have a great evening!!
0 Kudos
t-monster

Hi -

I have a lot of time and thought in to this and have choosen my quit date which is 8.08.08. I have worked with the program and learned that my triggers are stress, pop, and eating. I am meeting with the doctor this week to discuss medications as the patch hasn't worked very well in the past. Mainly cause I use the smoking as a tension release.

I do want this to work this time, I am scared though I have been thru the withdrawl symptoms before and they stink. My aunt just found out that she has lung cancer and she never smoked. I just had my daughter 6 months ago, and all I seem to be thinking is what if I am not around to see her get married or graducate for that mater. So I do think this will work. Only like I stated before I am not so into the withdrawl symptons. Hopefully my doc will work with me to find the right med. In the past I had tried the patch and it just didn't work.

I think this program so far is great. Its wonderful to be able to read and know that there are others out there going thru the same things as I.
Thank you for your support.
0 Kudos
t-monster

Thanks so much, cause I am going to need it
0 Kudos
miguel

hi T ,welcome to ex, congrats on wanting to quit,this is the best place to be lots of grest people here just waiting to help,lots of successful quitters,do the ex plan, pick a quit date,and lets get quit!!!!!! and NO THIS IS NOT A 1,2,3, QUIT ADDICTION, I DONT WANT TO SCARE U, BUT ITS A PAINFUL PROCESS BUT WORTH EVERY BIT OF EVERY TEAR, GOOD LUCK BE STRONG!!!!!!!!! GIMME A SHOUT!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos