cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

samillervzw

Hello. My first time posting🙂. Is there any advice to help a person quit smoking with major anxiety issues?

I have done some reading and have found some very useful information on this website. I am hoping following the guidelines and tips will help me succeed in quitting. I want to quit for my health but my anxiety tells me different. How do I get past the anxiety of not smoking? I am on anxiety medication and have tried chantix which I recently stopped due to the fact it was altering my moods. But I know how I get without having cigarettes (a monster), which is why it is so hard for me to quit. I despise being that way. I feel terrible for anyone who is around me when I run out of smokes. If anyone has suggestions, I’m willing to try anything right now. My quit date is Oct 1st and so far I’ve cut back drastically but I still fear I will turn into the ‘monster’ I despise so much. 

25 Replies
sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s samillervzw 

What have you done to help your anxiety? Meditation, prayer, yoga, exercise, breathing exercises, therapy...ahah...smoking doesn’t help it...you only think it does...if it does  help then you wouldn’t even know you have anxiety...so quitting is more than just quitting...it is learning how to live life on her/his terms without the smokes...WE are addicts and smoked through everything...so where do you begin...? Read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and prepare for your quit...learn where your triggers are and figure out what you will do instead of smoking.../blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=3b64... ... read the blogs here and become knowledgeable in quitting...keep close to the support site and help others through this journey and come for help...You can do this...and You are worth it...you will have to finally work on your anxiety...and you will find smoking made it worse...trust me...I know ... I had anxiety so bad I didn’t even drive a car for three years... smoking never helped... do the work...and know we are here to help you and in this journey together...~ Colleen 282 DOF 

pazzamess

Mel Robbins book The 5 Second Rule has some great tips on handling this type of thing. I had severe depression and anxiety and I am 7+ years quit. My anxiety etc is all but gone. Pick up a new hobby. Something to do with your hands?

jonimarie

Congratulations on picking your quit date!

A lot of good advice above.

Smoking in itself generates anxiety, I was quite surprised by how much calmer I was once I quit

PrimeNumberJD

First and foremost welcome! I've never really had anxiety, but I know many here have expressed anxiety in posts. Once you get on the path, you'll probably see that the anxiety will subside. mireya223‌ is not far ahead of you and expressed some anxiety questions. Mireya223, do you have any suggestions? 

mireya223

I think I’ve started to realize that I was trying to self medicate with nicotine for so long, I forgot what dealing with severe panic disorder was like. My anxiety has been worse since quitting only because my brain was convinced it was somehow helping, which I promise you, it was not. Nicotine actually makes anxiety worse, especially when you’re concerned how it’s affecting your health. Quitting is the best decision you can make for your anxiety! I’ve recently started taking pristiq for my anxiety because I’ve been really struggling with it lately, and I believe it has started to help a little. I’ll notice the effects more at 4-6 weeks. So don’t be afraid to reach out to your doctor or friends and talk about what you’re going through because I promise you are not alone. Anxiety can be so crippling and scary sometimes, and the best we can do is try to figure out what personally works best for us. That can be a long journey, but I promise we can get there eventually. Keep your head up as best as you can, and always remember you’re not alone with these feelings. WE can do this. 

PrimeNumberJD

So open and honest, you'll over come all this! Maintain your mindfulness and awareness!

Dominque

I have the same issue with anxiety of quitting. As I write to u I m sitting on my patio contemplating having my 3rd cigarette of the day!  All I can say is pray to God for strength n know that you can do all things through Christ Who strengthens you. Please stay in touch

maryfreecig

So be a monster for a little while. So what? What's wrong with acknowledging that you are willing to quit while at the same time don't like the adjustment?  You will find your quit one day at a time. Few people quit the painless way. Few. Doesn't mean that it can't be done, but please know that quitting usually is at least a little bit messy.

But quitting is also about coming back together, feeling better. It happens. So let yourself be a monster. If you don't smoke, that monster will learn to behave in a more reasonable way.

I'm 54, quit almost 6 years ago. I don't miss the 49,900 cigarettes that I would have smoked over these years had I continued to smoke as I had been doing. My monster got smaller and smaller.

Don't let your monster scare you.

Court2Knee

I just quit smoking my ecig after 8 years on 9-9-19 and I will tell you that I my anxiety and panic attacks have almost gone away completely already. I would constantly vape all day and night so I think the nicotine was making my anxiety so much worse (or could have been what caused it when it started about 3 years ago). Stay strong and anticipate your quit date as something you are doing for yourself. Imagine your future self on Oct 1, 2020 don’t you want to be proud of yourself for being quit for a whole year! You can do anything you put your mind to just keep your mind busy and pray for strength. 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Court2Knee ... Congratulations on 3 Days quit...wtg...and I love that you are encourage someone else...that will help you tremendously in your quit...Have a great Thursday ~ Colleen 283 DOF