cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

AnitaLing

Hello I'm New and on Day 1

Hello I am new here on my Day 1 of quitting. I did quit for about 7 months twice before but started back..... Now I'm truly sick of feeling enslaved by this thing and I'm ready to be free of it. I'm glad to find a support community where people know what I'm going through. My smoker friends are not quitting and my family and other friends do not smoke so they wouldn't really understand. 

Labels (2)
13 Replies
JustinHoot99

Hello and welcome.  This is definitely a very supportive group.  I just lost a 44day quit a little over a week ago.  Fortunately I was able to attempt another quit in only a week, vs the 1yr or more it has always taken me before.  Hopefully I will remember the depression that follows ending a quit this time.  I'm on day 3.  It's true what you said about friends.  The only people who really understand or want to discuss quitting are people who either are quitting or have quit.  This site has plenty of both.  Although technically there is no difference between people who are quitting and have quit.  With nicotine dependency, you are always addicted.  People who have "quit" are simply in control of their addiction.

AnitaLing

Hi Justin,

Just checking in, I'm on Day 5 and feeling much stronger now. How are you doing?

JACKIE1-25-15

Congratulations on one of the greatest journeys of your life, the nonsmoking one.   You have come to the right place if you are willing to do what is necessary to be smoke-free. Foremost NOPE (not one puff ever.)   Education is the key to a successful quit. Read the suggested material it is an important step of the journey.  Here we dispel the myths and brainwashing we have learned about smoking.  You will gain tools and skills to unlearn some of the behavior smoking has created  There are Daily Pledge groups, affirmation groups you can join to help strengthen your quit.  The action is in the blogs, front and center so introduce yourself and let all of us get to know you.  If you have a question, please feel free to ask.  Someone will help.  If you have a problem with your quit type help in the blog and let us know how we can help. I suggest that you stay as close as possible until your quit grows.  Be mindful of what is going on with your quit. Know HALT Hungry Angry Lonely Tired can be confused with triggers.  Don’t give up.  We are here to support you.

Below is a little info to help you get started

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101  was very helpful to me.            http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and  http://whyquit.com/ffn/

0 Kudos
AnitaLing

Thank you, Jackie. I'm on Day 5 and feeling stronger than ever, yay!!!

0 Kudos

Maybe take a few days off from your smoking friends.

And we you rejoin them, be sure to stay UPWIND of all their smoke; 2nd Hand Smoke Kills, too!!

Sit down and write up your entire Quit Plan.

Stock up a healthy Quit Kit; coloring books, crayons, straw to suck on, paperback books, bubble bath, soft music, walking shoes, mini project list.

Maye look into some use of an NRT if you think it might help.  (I used the Patch; worked great!!)

Welcome to the Journey of a Lifetime~

You CAN do this Quit Thing!  

Yes YOU can!!!!!

AnitaLing

I have the patch but only used for one day. I am trying to get the nicotine out of my system ASAP. Actually I have left home and got an Airbnb to be by myself and focus on being free from this addiction, and I am thankful that I can do that. Day 5 is a lot better. And I know it will only get better. I am a non smoker.

Barbscloud

@AnitaLing Congrats on your success. That's great that you were able to take a retreat to work on your quit.  Keep up the good work.

Barb

Cash1963

I'm new. Been down this road before, also. Keep telling yourself you did it once so you can do it again! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome @Cash1963 

Barb

0 Kudos