cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JustAmanda

HELLO - NEW HERE - QUIT DATE SET FOR 7/23/2021

Hi All,

For me, it came down to getting hit with being diagnosis with Advanced (stage 3C) Ovarian Cancer this last January and getting hit with being diagnosed with Stage 1 Emphysema a few weeks ago, for me to finally wake up to how bad my health is and how bad I needed to quit smoking. As sick as it sounds, I wasn't scared of death by Cancer enough to quit smoking. It took my sheer fright of drowning to death from Emphysema, to finally get me to be willing to quit smoking and beat the Addiction Monster six feet under the dirt once and for all. 🤛👊🤜

I decided to use the QuitSure App and belonging to online Support group to help me quit smoking. I am on Day 4 on my QuitSure App, with Day 6th being the day I'm supposed to have my Last Cigarette Ceremony and begin my life as a Non-Smoker from then on! I am 59 years YOUNG...lol...and, I've been smoking ever since I was just a 14 year old teen-aged girl. This is such the HUGEST personal life decision I've ever had to make for me. So, this coming July 23rd, I will go to sleep and wake up the next morning to my first day of being a Non-Smoker! This sounds so good to say, just hoping I will follow through with my Quit Plan! 😬

Thank you for spending your time on me by reading my post! I appreciate it! 🖤

Labels (1)
7 Replies
GrandmaCj

@JustAmanda So happy to hear that you're ready to make the move to smoke free living. I'm 63 years young and also started around 14-15 years old. I was petrified to stop. I  also have emphysema with complications from COPD. I'm actually starting to breathe a little better. Feel a little bit better. Smell a whole lot better. Lol good luck on your quit. If you need anything this amazing group of people have helped me and we can all help you ❤

Caroline
OctoberMoon

@JustAmanda  ~ so glad you are here ! I’m 31 days in (weds evening) and I can promise you, after 30yrs of having one in my hand all day every day ~ I can’t believe how FREE it makes you feel. 
I also have COPD. I had two inhalers I had to take. One for emergencies & one twice a day. I ended up in the ER, admitted to the hospital, and will NOT ever be smoking again. The feeling of suffocating did it for me. Then of course you sit there in the hospital will nothing much to do but think. And think I did.. about my children, grandchildren~ heck I even though about my animals ~ who would care for them ? Even my oldest kids call me and need me. It’s a done deal for me, I will keep coming here and reaching out for help before I lose my 31 days of freedom. 
I am sure you will get a lot of help, support, and genuine care/concern from many people here. I haven’t even been here that long & there is so much support & kind words to be had 🥰.
I am sending tons of positive vibes your way for your quit and also with your recent diagnosis of the cancer. 🦋🕊🌹

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision.  The emphysema diagnosis has been the motivation for many of us to finally quit.   

If you haven't done so already, read what you can on this site to educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  That knowledge and having a plan made all the difference for me after smoking for 50 years.   

Glad you found us.  Just reach out anytime you need support or want to share you're journey. Look forward to celebrating with you on the 23rd.

Barb

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @JustAmanda how are you doing? We're all here for you and we're rooting you on.....

Barbscloud

@JustAmanda Today is the big day.  How are you doing?

Barb

GrandmaCj

@JustAmanda I was just checking in to see how you're doing. Remember we're all here cheering you on. Good luck today. 

Caroline
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX   

Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking.  You have come to the right place for support. if you are making the decision to commit to quit smoking.  At EX our resolve is to never smoke again.  NOPE “Not one puff ever.”  I suggest that you follow the steps on the web site pages along with reading, writing, studying, researching and blogging if you like.

This is all about what you are willing to do to  be a nonsmoker. I used Wellbutrin as an aid for 90 days.  It helped but I also had to develop new skills to not smoke.  If you haven’t read it or have not been informed read    Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Way to Quit Smoking”. It is in pdf on the web   It is an easy suggested  Also check out www.whyquit.com.  There is a lot of additional beneficial information to read and study.  Look for Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101. Both were extremely helpful for me.  Stay close to the site and learn, ask questions. Read the blogs and most of all enjoy your commitment to quit smoking.

If you should need something to do here is a link that will help

http://community.becomeanex.org/pg/blog/read/5711492/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke).

If you take the time to do the work you will have success.

0 Kudos