cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ali

Going on 24 hours

Hello. I'm new here. I'm not really a puppy but couldn't find a pix of me. I haven't had a smoke for almost 24 hours. I've smoked since I was 16 and am 44. I hate to admit but I really like to smoke. Haven't quit for more than a year three times since beginning. I have a back problem and my dr. has told me that the surgeon probably won't operate if I'm still smoking. I see the surgeon for consult on 11th of July. I spent 8 days in hell with my back and will do anything to keep from going back to the pain from my back. So, I'm cold turkeyin' it - kind of - am taking Wellbutin. Doing ok - been eating a lot of tic tacs and sunflower seeds. My partner is still smoking and that's ok, I hope. I'm so glad to have found this website. I am a drug and alcohol counselor and am using many of the techniques I've taught my clients and what works for drug and alcohol is a good support system. And I know I will need a lot of support. Anyway, thanks for listening (or reading, I guess).
0 Kudos
11 Replies
ellie5

Hi, Ali. I "joined" the Ex-ers 24 hours ago..but am still smoking. I've had five cigarettes so far today so I'm not smoke free. But I'm tracking when and why I smoke so I can try to learn some new ways to defuse those triggers. So far, meals seem to be my downfall!.

Congratulations on being 24 hours smoke free!!! Way to go and keep going!!!! You have been through one of the hardest days..psychologically, if not physically..so you should be proud of yourself.

I'm going to try those tic tacs and sunflower seeds. Last year when I quit (for one week) I chewed on hard candies and broke a tooth.

By the way, I'm 55 and have been smoking since I was 15. So you see, I've been addicted even longer than you. I'd like to read some of your techniques, too.

Best,

Ellen
0 Kudos
cindy25

Hey Ali, I quit using this program and a little nicotine gum for the first week. Sounds like you have an immediate reason to make this work! Stay strong, the mental part of the quit is the toughest. The physical withdrawal is short. Don't let that nicodemon inside your head tell you to "just have one" or that you miss smoking so much that you are willing to risk your health. That is just BS.......kick ash!
0 Kudos
ali

Thanks for the encouragement Ellen. One of the techniques that we use with addiction is to wear a rubber band and snap it everytime someone thinks about smoking. It creates a negative response. Seemed to work for me today. The day was good but had a few cancellations and some down time - which is when I would usually smoke. Then I saw an empty pack of my brand in the garbage can by the drinking fountain. Bad trigger. Used the rubber band. Most of my clients smoke (of course) and the smell on them was pretty bad (but they smoke cheap cigarettes - how's that for justifying). The biggest part of qutting drug is using a support system so I am here!
THanks!
0 Kudos
cindy25

Hey Ali, I quit using this program and a little nicotine gum for the first week. Sounds like you have an immediate reason to make this work! Stay strong, the mental part of the quit is the toughest. The physical withdrawal is short. Don't let that nicodemon inside your head tell you to "just have one" or that you miss smoking so much that you are willing to risk your health. That is just BS.......kick ash!
0 Kudos
polly2

Hi Ali!

I quit 4 days ago and the support here is awesome! You've got an edge because you know the mental part of the addiction process! I like the rubber band snapping idea! Many congratulations on your 1st 24 hours! Keep on writing and getting support -- it really does help! Have a great evening!
0 Kudos
ali

Thanks for being here. Finished supper and my partner went outside to smoke. I did some stretches and then messed around on here. Made it easier to get past the meal time trigger. Dont' know if I can have coffee yet. Had none this morning - too difficult to handle.
I'm off to go try to sleep - doesn't come easy for me with my back.
Thanks again and have a good night. Will be back tomorrow
0 Kudos
jen-x

Hello, good for you. You can do this it sounds like you have a good plan. Keep in touch and breathe............
0 Kudos
Giulia

Welcome Ali,

Rubber band therapy, eh? I would've need a cat-o-nine-tails! (grin). Yup, doctors don't like to operate on smokers because it slows down the healing process so much, aside from many other reasons. That's another of the things "they" don't mention about the negatives of smoking. Came as a big surprise to me.

We all liked to smoke. Or think we did. Though I can remember the first couple of times I inhaled a cigarette I didn't like it one bit. I'll bet you didn't either. What does THAT tell you? We just became inured to the poisons and got hooked on the chemicals that played with our brains and fooled us into thinking we liked it.

As a counselor you're obviously familiar with all the techniques. Even though you've quit cold turkey, the Ex Plan seems to be working for a lot of people here, so check it out.

This will be a great "hands on" exercise for yourself. (Or should I say hands off.) You can use your own experience here to benefit the counseling advice you give.

We're here for you. Read everything you can here. Lots of reinforcement to be had.

Cheering you on.

Giulia (2 years 3 mos +)
0 Kudos
angelquit

Welcome Ali! You have to Stay Determined, Stay Focused, Stay Motivated and Stay Strong! Quitting smoking is a tough thing to do. But you've made it thorugh your first 24 hours. That is an awesome feat. Great Job. Keep It up. I won't lie, for me it has gotta harder before it got better, but now it is getting a little easier. But You Can Do This. Keep the Faith. Take Care and Keep in Touch. Angelquit - Free and Healing for Three Months, Fourteen Days, 15 Hours and 41 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 7 Days and 9 Hours, by avoiding the use of 2133 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $396.35.
0 Kudos