cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

picaroon

Friends who still smoke

I don't know where to begin, I'm 50, I have smoke since my late teens, my first real attempt was about six years ago, during that time I have told my wife and kids I had quit when in fact I was smoking at every chance I had. The worst part of hiding it was the lies I told to my loved ones, I'm very ashamed of this. A few weeks ago I came clean with them and promised to make a real effort this time. There is one issue that I'm having great difficulty with, I have a group of friends that I have been hanging out with on Friday nights for the past 20 years, we watch sports, play cards, drink beer, play acoustic guitar and have a lot of fun, they all smoke. My wife says that if I continue to go there, I will never quit and I agree, but I love them all dearly. It's the home of one of my best friends, he smokes, his wife smokes, his kids smoke, most everyone that joins us smokes. I feel like an idiot, if I had just quit years ago, it wouldn't be an issue, but the truth is, it's the only place where I would be around it. How do I tell them that it's over, that I just can't be around it and that means I can't be with them. Although, my health is good, I do have some issues that are definitely a result of cigarettes and its only going to get worse if I don't quit, it's been about 12 days since my last cigarette and I already feel better, my breathing has improved and my mental health, because I no longer have to hide it and lie about it. Thinking back on it now, how much time did I lose with my wife and kids, they would go some where and instead of going, I would stay behind because I would be alone with the opportunity to smoke, how pitiful. I would like to thank you ahead of time for your thoughts, advice, encouragement.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ndudkowski

I totally agree and understand what your saying. I spent so much time trying to find a place to smoke and getting rid of the smell.  I always felt like a heavy duty drug addict sneaking around to smoke. Looking forward to getting this monkey off my back.

0 Kudos