cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

madcan34

First time poster, long time smoker

I smoked for 28 years, 29 years ago - it's been a little more than a year since I quit.  It's been the most rewarding and the most difficult thing I've ever done (and considering the chemical abuse I've subjected myself to that's saying a lot).

I'm not sure why I joined - I have never been more dedicated to seeing this through till I die (which hopefully won't be as soon as I thought).

Maybe I can help others who need it

If I was to give advice to someone it would be to:

1) realize right now that you will have cravings for the rest of your life, they will become less intense and fewer between but they will be there

2) also realize that if you believe for a second that you can't quit, then you won't.  If your heart, mind and body aren't as one then it's not going to happen.

I smoked half days for 3 years before going cold turkey, no patch, no gum, no hypnotism, I guess you could have called it a learning process.  I'm not saying those other approaches don't work, they just weren't for me.

My goal is to survive at least the same amount of years that I smoked and I'm 45 this year so I look forward to being around at 73.

My name's David and I'm here to help if I can.  Thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
julie87

Thanks, Tomorrow is my first day.......cleaned all my ash trays and have no smokes, gonna go to bed now and pray for success against the addiction. Night all and thanks david

0 Kudos