cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tracyjhi

First Time On Here

This is my first day on here.  Day 3 of giving up cigarettes.  My favorite thing to do has always been getting in my car and smoking while I drive.  I miss that a lot but this morning, I got in my car and realized how TERRIBLE it smells in there.  OMG it made me sick.... I know that I can do it this time.  I have tried before and failed miserably but this time, I feel inner strength and have mentioned to my loved ones that I need support and motivation.  I also feel like I need to give up drinking too because when I drink I smoke ALOT.  I guess that in order to change myself, I have to change my life too..... It will be worth it in the end though.  I have started a "money jar" that I am putting in $5 per day (since that it what I spent anyway) and I am going to go somewhere fun this summer to spend it to reward myself.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
atl-sam

Hi Tracy, welcome.  It is my first day here also and my 5th day not smoking.  I am going to have my car detailed tomorrow to get that "smoke" smell out of it.  I never smoked in the house so I don't have to worry about the smell there.  I know we can do it.  I have tried several times before but started back.  I too feel as though I can quit this time since previously I don't think I really wanted to quit.  I just don't know if I can give up drinking, but I certainly won't be hanging out at any smoking bars this year.  I'll drink socially at friends' houses and maybe a non-smoking sports bar or two.  Good luck!!!

0 Kudos
rollinismo

I'm right there with you.. I started smoking at 15, riding in cars with my friends so we wouldn't stink of smoke around our parents... now I'm 24 and still love smoking and driving.  Its probably one of my favorite feelings of freedom, but it has to go.  I quit yesterday evening, and todays drive to work was ok, but the drive home was terrible.  I wanted to ram every car in sight, haha, but I just tried to take some deep breaths and hang in.  I didn't really plan my quit out very well so I need to get something like a piece of gum or something to distract myself during those really bad cravings.  Let me know if you have any good tricks. 🙂

(To Alt Sam: getting your car detailed is a great idea.  Good luck to you, Sir.)

I am a musician and beer lover, so I can relate with your alcohol dilemma.  It will be very hard for me to kick smoking while I drink aswell.  But I have a few friends that don't smoke when they drink, so I know we can do it.  It's not impossible. 

Good luck and hang in there!

0 Kudos
dignam2004

It is my first day here as well.  I absolutely love smoking in my car, but I know it really stinks.  I have quit once when I was pregnant with my son and didn't smoke for two years and fell back into it.  I know I can do it this time, but my husband still smokes and so do my friends so it will take resolve.  The site recommended that I quit on the 22nd so I hoe to slowly bring my numbers down before my quit date.  i am going to have my car detailed this week.  I have an hour commute to work everyday and this will be the most difficult time for me. 

0 Kudos
hukly

hi my name is hector baez and i have been smoking from the age of 15 and now t i am 55 i also have a very bad lung  it is call COPD. i am getting treament for but i still smoke i need hlep stopping to cigg hapit.

0 Kudos
hukly

hi my name is hector baez and i have been smoking from the age of 15 and now t i am 55 i also have a very bad lung  it is call COPD. i am getting treament for but i still smoke i need hlep stopping to cigg hapit.

0 Kudos
teri1021

Hi..my name is Teri Carver.  I quit smoking a couple of weeks ago after smoking for 48 years.  I quit for my health as I was having problems breathing and was all clogged up everynight while sleeping.  It's only been 2 weeks and I'm amazed at how well I can breath now.  I'm taking Chantax.  My doctor gave it to me.  It's working so far but its very expensive and most health plans don't cover it. 

My main problem is just the habit of going for a cigarette every 15 minutes.  I find myself at my living room coffee table looking for my pack of cigarettes.  I don't have anything to do at break time at work. Thank goodness my job is only 1 cigarette away!  LOL  It's not the cigarette that I crave so much as it is the habit of reaching for them. If anyone has any idea how to get over this reaching for a cigarette other than breaking my arm....I would be interested to hear it.

I got my car detailed on my second day of non-smoking.  It reeked of cigarettes.  It's so night having a nice smelling car now with no ashes all over the place.

0 Kudos
bristc23

my name is brian i have smoked since i was 16 now 40 , doctor told me i have artey desease after having angeogram, i have p.a.d ....  2 pack  a day smoker, left hospital  got  down to having  a few cigs a day..after  going back to work got stressed started smoking more........  cant believe it  i dont want to quit i have to......i could loose my toes or a foot  or  worse,  i think  there is  more  addicting  chemicals  in cigs than  we think  in the past  few  yaers i have smoked more than ever .......

0 Kudos
tracyjhi

I really want to thank everyone for welcoming me with open arms.  I need help right now.  This is a very hard addiction to break.  I am on day 4 though and I haven't broke down.  I am not going to either.  I know I am strong.  I can do this!!!!!  I appreciate all of the inspirational stories from you guys and let's all keep up the good work!!!

0 Kudos
smith_rena

My name is Rena and i have been a smoker for about 11 years i have tried to quit with many times and have used just about every help aid out there but none worked for me. I am hopeing this site will give me the mindset that I need to really put an end to being a smoker. 

0 Kudos