cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

missellen

Feeling like I can't do this...

Right now, I feel like I can't quit. It's only been since 8:30 Sunday morning and I feel like I'm going nuts. How am I going to maintain this? How am I going to deal with no man's land?  I know I have to take it one day, one moment at a time, but my mind keeps wandering to further in the future and the thought of that without a cigarette is really overwhelming.

25 Replies
Jennifer-Quit

Just concentrate on now - don't worry about tomorrow or the next day. 

For me No Mans Land was not a bad thing.  I had gotten through my first month and thoughts of smoking came less often and didn't last as long.  I started to feel the freedom and it felt really good.

Do whatever is necessary to get through this little bump in the road.  Find something to get your mind off of it.  Perhaps a good book? Or maybe a movie?  A game or a puzzle?  You got this - you just have to give it some time to get to a much better place. 

Best wishes!

maryfreecig

At three days in, this is exactly the time these awful feelings (like a storm) come about if they are going to surface at all. Growing your smobriety one day at a time will take care of the future you fear. What you feel today is not what you will continue to feel everyday for the rest of your life. The pay off is better than going back to nicotine. Make this a matter of faith and work your quit. You have strengths! No doubt about it. So call upon them to help you get through this. And of course you know you have everyone at Ex behind you.  

oh, yes, you can.  I smoked from the time I got up until the time I went to bed.  I did that same routine for 43 years.  I've never had a substantial quit under my belt.  I treated smoking like it was a habit.  It never dawned on me that it was the nicotine that kept me coming back.  Hopefully you went over to Newbie Quitters‌ and read some there and also went over to the Beat Tobacco Cravings | My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX section and did the required reading and exercises they have outlined there.  If it gets to be too much, try the patch or the gum or the lozenge.  Some people aren't meant for cold turkey, but do try to give it at least a week duration.  When that week is over, treat yourself to a little something, might be your favorite coffee or something sweet or simply a new wax melt.  Important thing is don't give up trying or simply don't quit on your quit.  This can be done.  I didn't think so either a few years ago and boy, did I ever prove myself wrong

indingrl

Thank you for sharing your over whelming NICOTINE CRAVING AND OBSESSIVE CONSTANT CRAVING FOR THE OLD FIX... your a NON SMOKER now and READING is the SOLUTION to quite YOUR MIND AND HEART... it was SUGGESTED to go to whyquit.com and read the online book... its FREE... title... NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF... its by Joel who has videos to watch too if you dont FEEL like reading... Joel has been HELPING those with NICOTINE ADDICTION for over 45 years and it was SUGGESTED for ME to put as much into MY OWN RECOVERY as much as I put into USING NICOTINE..I was using 50 death sticks a DAY to cope with MY insides and for the pain of life to stay DOWN in place with MY DRUG NICOTINE to quite ALL the NOISE in MY HEAD... I learned by educating MYSELF about MY excuses and OLD habits to USE instead of dealing with life on lifes terms and be responsible for MY FEELINGS for the FIRST time ever....this NOT USING SUCKED I NEEDED MY DRUG to get rid of  ME... it was SUGGESTED to read the blogs here by those walking their quit and HOW the handled themselves in NEW NON SMOKING LIFESTYLE...then sharing that the NICOTINE IS COMPLETELY OUT OF MY BODY BY THREE DAYS....then its ALL in MY HEAD...that I had to throw away ALL MY THINKING about living NICOTINE FREE... MY OLD thinking was this is gonna be BORING.... so I took the SUGGESTIONS and read and read and stayed on this site for MY FIRST 90 DAYS! Everyday and one day for 12 hours I was desperate as the dying could be... It was SUGGESTED to ME that I write a goodbye letter to MY DRUG NICOTINE because for ME... please take what HELPS and let go of the rest to be HELPFUL is MY only aim... thank you ... and please I am talking about ME only... MY DRUG NICOTINE was MY best friend and lover and companion for 38 years that I believed ALL the lies just so I could USE... it seemed silly to ME.. I wrote the letter because it was true.... MY OLD THOUGHT AND FEELING LIFE NEEDED TO BE FACTS TRUTH THAT MY DRUG NICOTINE WILL KILL ME! I KNEW NOTHING of a life without USING MY DRUG OF CHOICE NICOTINE... thank you for HELPING ME to remember only by Gods grace I was exactly where you are at NOW.... IT IS UP TO YOU... MY beloved sister in RECOVERY YOUR OWN....NON SMOKER the FREE WILL CHOICE MUST BE YOURS MSELLEN... I pray you CHOOSE life NOT death and for ME I pray in Lord Jesus name amen...keep coming BACK... please know I am NOW more desperate to offer you the LOVE and HELP I received FREELY....7 YEARS ago...HOPE offered it is TRUE THEY WERE RIGHT I WAS WRONG... They taught ME... A NON SMOKER RECOVERY LIFESTYLE IS SO GOOD just like they told ME! Hang tough MsEllen three deep breathes and this too shall pass.. I am very proud and honored to know you and call you MY NEW FRIEND AND FAMILY MEMBER RECOVERING FROM NICOTINE in the NOW! 

missellen

Thanks all. I'm still hanging in there, smoke free. 

One thing I do when the craving gets that bad is take my blood pressure--it is so awesome to see how much it has come down in just these few days without smoking; my pulse rate, too.  Also, I have a prescription for xanax to take as needed for my anxiety. It's funny how much less of that I need to take when not smoking. I haven't taken once since I quit. And, while I'm coughing up all kinds of yuck from my chest, I'm not constantly clearing my throat like I was three days ago. These things are good and these help keep my focus, along with all of you.  Thanks again.

I'm going to bed now. 

-Ellen

Sandi4

Nicely done. Another day WON.

0 Kudos

Yippeee.  Stay the course and resign yourself that you're going to stick with it no matter what.  come here when you have questions or feeling on the edge.  There's an excellent group called https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/relapse-prevention?sr=search&searchId=4f92c075-77a1-4c7b-b...‌ that has many blogs about people who are about to slip, relapse or what I just call go back to smoking and that gives you some insight on where the thinking process goes.  Poke around in the groups and read some.  there's a boatload of knowledge and personal experiences here that everyone can learn from

MichelleDiane

Great job...well done

freeneasy

We all know what you feel like because we've all been there. This too shall pass and the irony is when you get through this, your future will be way better. You can get through today, tomorrow and no man's land and look back on this and be so glad you stopped. Believe in yourself. It is worth it. You're worth it.

missellen

So far, today is off to a much better start. Three days under my belt. Onward and upward!