cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

paul6

Cold Turkey VS NRT?

is it me or do most of the people and articles relating to smoking cessation who quit or talk about quitting cold turkey look down upon those  who use NRT? ( nicotine replacement therapy) (as in the patch, gum and lozenges )..

I myself am using the patch but i can't help but feel that im not totally quit yet because my body is getting a continuos supply of nicotine from my patch

Ive been smoke free for 9 days and had no urges.( cause of the patch) but i find it hard to tell myself im free when im still on the patch that supplies nicotine...should i be feeling this guilt and get off the patch asap.. or should i finish the recommended plan with the patches and wait to be TOTALLY nicotine free.

Any response would be greatly appreciated

-Paul

0 Kudos
7 Replies
caldwec

I too am on the patch, but don't feel bad.  I am not inhaling toxic smoke!  That's what will kill you not the nicotine itself.  If you had chronic pain, you'd have no problem taking a pain reliever (drugs) everyday right?  Nicotine is a drug and I am hoping the patch will ween me from that drug so one day I will not be a slave to it.  In the meantime, I'm feeling great to be SMOKE FREE!!!

0 Kudos
finallyfree2

Hi Paul, I just set my quit date and I'm afraid. I hope this time I will be able to stay away from the killers. I would be so hard on yourself.... 9 Days that is great.... keep up the good work and keep strong...

Lorrie

0 Kudos
elmntfire

I definitely know what you mean.  I myself see nicotine replacement as more or less trading one master for another, but most programs that use nicotine replacement have a step down method, so you are actually making progress.  I would give those kinds of programs a shot, but often they're more expensive than smoking and I don't have the money to keep smoking, let alone buy an expensive pack of gum or a patch.  But, as I like to say, whatever works.

0 Kudos
bigquitter

Hey paul! I'm using the patch and on day 12 & feeling great! I was just wondering if you kept on the patch program.

0 Kudos
jeanie4

I went thru the Nicotine Dependency Center program at Mayo Clinic and they advocate using NRT.  Cigarettes have over 4000 chemicals and 60 known cancer-causing agents!!!    Nicotine does not cause heart attack, COPD or cancer.  The carcinogens in cig smoke does.  So don't feel  bad about using a NRT.  It does work!

Jeanie

0 Kudos
wise60

I AM NOT AN EXPERT BUT DID LEARN ALOT WHEN I WAS IN THE NICOTINE DEPENDENCY CENTER AT MAYO CLINIC. WHEN YOU USE THE NRT, YOU ARE HELPING THE CRAVINGS SO YOU DON'T GO BACK TO THE CIGS. AFTER A PERIOD OF TIME YOU CAN WHEEN YOURSELF OFF THEM. WHEEING OFF OF NRTS IS BETTER THAN WHEEING OFF CIGS.  REMEMBER IT ISN'T THE NICOTINE THAT WILL KILL YA, IT'S THE OTHER CRAP IN THEM.

I WISH EVERY SMOKER COULD HAVE A CHANCE TO GO TO THE DEPENDENCY CENTER IT IS WELL WORTH THE TIME AND EDUCATION. YOU'LL NEVER WANT TO SMOKE AGAIN. 

0 Kudos

I've heard that 93% of NRT users will relapse within 6 months of quitting.. Intentionally designed this way. They're in the business of making money, not saving lives. Not sure if this is entirely true but I'm on my 4th day cold turkey, sore throat, tight chest, constant coughing and fighting with my subconcious that will say anything to get me to relapse. I guess whatever works for you, as long as you're not smoking then thats good. Good luck!

-Matthew

0 Kudos