cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Laurarutledge

Chronic Pain and Withdrawal

Does anyone else have problems with more chronic pain trouble during the withdrawal process? I have Fibromyalgia and I’ve noticed a lot of pain during the past 5 days of my quit, my first five days. Hoping it’s just a symptom of the withdrawal that will go away soon. I’m quite sure smoking never helped ease my pain. 

17 Replies
Mandolinrain

Geese, I do not have Fibro but I sure can relate to the hand pain. I have osteoarthritis and hands are bad...fingers...there are days I can't do much of anything with them and when I quit smoking it seemed it was more pronounced. I also have MS but don't think its related to that

Tabbiekat

Congrats on your quit and I am glad the pain has lessened. I will say hold on tight to your quit as well. I initially quit Oct 17th, but dumb me I fell to the temptation on Oct 30th and had a few, but quit again that evening and reset my quit day to the 31st. I have Multiple Sclerosis, I could blame it on the stress, but I know smoking even for those few hours did increase my pain levels for the first few days of my final quit. 

Being 2-3 months quit now, I will say for me the daily pain I live with has lessened, but when the pain spikes I actually use the same tools I used to distract myself when craving the nicotine/habit. Does not always work, but for me it does help a touch to try and distract myself during the "high pain" periods.

Best of luck on your continued quit.

Tabbie

Laurarutledge

Tabbiekat the pain came back stronger than ever this evening, but I’m still not giving up my quit. No way I went thru hell week for nothing! Thanks to the support of the great people of this site, and knowing I’m not alone, you’re all here supporting me, and I’m here to support all of you as well! Here’s to getting the NicoDemon off our back, then maybe we can get to work on lessening our pain somehow! 

4297CEA2-E794-46B7-95D2-8F0945D6704B.jpeg

Deb-EX

Don't give up!! We both know pain and we both know that it will not be better with a cigarette! I've been playing that mind game over and over in my head for 2 days now. I am smoke free 60 days tomorrow -  I never want to start this over! I hate Fibromyalgia and I hate the havoc it causes to our body, mind and souls!  But I also know that smoking a cigarette is not going to change anything... I have to believe that over time, it will help our bodies heal... Thats what I hang on to! 

I hope you rest tonight and feel better in the morning!!

Laurarutledge

I know my brain likes to make up a new path. Like a cigarette would ease the pain, but it hasn’t been that long since I smoked — I know cigarettes are no pain killer. And worse, I do believe they make Fibromyalgia even worse! So that demon is not going to win the fight with me. 

F1D758E7-64DA-4F51-B558-BC6DF6280808.jpeg

elvan

Yep...forever.

Deb-EX

Great advice !!! Hot showers are my saving grace and a great tool to lessen that pain spike... Especially before going to bed! 

0 Kudos
anaussiemom

"Positive emotion can be helpful in coping with pain is counterintuitive and may seem to place the burden on the individual to simply ‘think positively’ to fix their chronic pain. To be sure, positive emotion is not a cure-all that will magically make the pain disappear. But consciously focusing on ways to bring more positive emotion into your life, even in the face of ongoing stress and pain, is one modest step toward coping better with pain."

I dont know it can't hurt to try.  
many abundant blessings sent your way ~~  ❤️

~ Kim