cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

festivechaos

Chantix?

Hi, I'm new so if this topic has been covered (and I'm sure it has) I don't know where to find it. My husband & I are going to start Chantix next month & I am wondering if anyone here has taken it. I know 2 people who have & they both say different things about how it effected them, how well it worked, etc. I would love to hear any stories, comments, advice, warning, etc on the topic.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
cscissor1

Hi

I'm on day 3 no smoking, 3rd week of chantix and it seems to really help with cravings I don't seem to get very many so far. I have weird dreams but only if I take a nap.

Cathy

0 Kudos
callmebreeze

I did it about 5 years ago.  Two things -

1. it really worked; it definitely controlled the cravings.

2. It drove me (more) crazy.

I didn't  do my research beforehand, so I did not know to expect the side-effects like vivid dreams, etc.  I ended up going back to smoking after a couple of weeks because I thought the withdrawal was messing with my mind.  Later I learned that I had pretty much most of side-effects available.  I should have known better, I have never done well with prescription meds.

My sister had great success with it, though.  No side-effects.

0 Kudos
festivechaos

Thanks Cathy, one question are the dreams weird or nightmares? Both my husband & myself are hoping for Weird not bad!

0 Kudos
festivechaos

Thanks Callmebreeze, are you now somke free?

0 Kudos
Kimshine

I have been taking it for 11 days now. I don't have any strange side effects, however, I am only taking half the dose. I am cutting it in half with a pill splitter. 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I have worked with a lot of patients that have taken Chantix and it is different for each and every person

. I was really worried about having terrible dreams like dismembering people and such ( listening to patients talk, I heard many horror stories about dreams). I have been having merely dreams that I remember in the morning versus not remembering any dreams prior to Chantix.

I really feel that it is helping me and I started it one week prior to my quit day on Monday 1/20/13. I have been 4 days without smoking now and it seems to be going ok. I will be honest and tell you that when I get stressed out my first thought is *oh just go smoke* I then remind myself that I am no longer a smoker, busy myself with some other thought ( My happy place) and move on. Sometimes are harder than others.

Good Luck--Hope this helps! 

0 Kudos
festivechaos

Thanks Genesis! Sounds like you are doing well - good for you! Hope it goes as well for us!

0 Kudos
callmebreeze

Chaos, I am smoke-free.  For ONE day!  I fell backwards in 2012 and have recomitted to getting back on track.  Stopped - for the last time, darn it - yesterday.

But I was smoke free for a few years, and let me tell you, it's worth it.  I ended up quitting with the patch, though.  The dreams weren't "Nightmare On Elm Street", but more really weird and REALLY vivid.  I was so busy in my dreamworld that I wasn't getting any rest. I woke up one morning I truly felt as though I had actually been waltzing with Sandra Bullock all night (that was one of the weirdest!).

You and your husband can do this.

0 Kudos
festivechaos

Thanks Breeze, I think we can too. Hope we are able to get sleep, though! Good luck to you & good job for re-committing to quitting!

0 Kudos
bsangelsc

was on chantix for a week then on my quit week I smoked a half to one full cig to husband cigs this went on for two weeks on new years eve had three cigs it was gross thothing to do with it (smoking) started having vivid dreams but nothing I couldn't handle (I can handle a few dreams if it meant i didn't smoke) but the dreams got worse in content and started to get depressed so I quit the chantix I took it for almost 2 months so I figure it has givin me a good start

0 Kudos