cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jayebyrde

Anyone else have smoking dreams?

Hi all - I was a 20 year, pack/day smoker. I quit on April 1, 2009. After a torturous year, and eating my weight in Tic-Tacs, I am still fighting the good fight. I've had good days and bad, good weeks and bad. Heck, even good months and bad months, but I am still hanging tough.

What's funny is, I still have the occasional, but very vivid dream of smoking. Oh, those are so lovely. My subconscious giving into the cravings I so steadfastly deny myself during my waking hours. It's like getting to smoke without cheating. I always feel bad in the dream, like I've let myself down, even as I'm enjoying the dream-cigarette -- and I'm always so happy when I wake up and realize, "Oh, I didn't slip! It was just a dream. Thank god."

The other thing I've noticed over the last year, since I quit smoking, it seems like everyone else on the planet has started smoking. I can't go anywhere without noticing it, smelling it, being intoxicated by it. I live in Los Angeles, and back when I was a smoker, it seemed like I was the only one in the whole city who smoked. I often felt very isolated by my addiction and embarrassed when I had to excuse myself from a dinner conversation to go outside and light up. But now, everywhere I go, it seems I can't escape it. Just today I had to walk through a cloud of it outside of my grocery store. Three men, standing right by the entrance, all of them puffing away.

I recently moved into a new apartment building and there are smokers everywhere here. I have to keep my windows closed all the time. There is a smoker who lives underneath me and two who live across from me. All three chain-smoke on their balconies in the evening and it blows straight into my apartment, driving me mad, both because I hate the smell of it and because I know, deep down, the smoker in me still wants what they have. It's so bad here that I'm actually considering moving. I didn't even think to ask about it when I moved in because the last apartment building I lived in, I was the only smoker! 

Anyway, I'm glad I haven't given in. It's been a crazy, hectic year and not one puff! I'm happy that I've managed to keep this promise to myself through all the hard times and all the countless minutes/hours/days of those torturous cravings.

If any long-term quitters around here have some suggestions for beating those urges, I'd love to hear them. Sometimes I think I'll just have to put up with these urges to smoke for the rest of my life. I don't think I'll ever be able to go into a 7-11 again. Hahah!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a-prince-girl

Keep up the good work. I just quit (AGAIN) . I quit for about three weeks over a year ago and I too had those smoking dreams. I would wake up looking for my ciggs. Its difficult. I enjoy smoking. Its my friend and keeps me company when I am lonely. It, however, is not a friend to my body. I'm probably older than you and I have COPD. Right now I can't walk 100 feet without getting winded. I can't bend over. I can't pick up my kid. I can't do a lot of things I should be able to do at 50 because I've ruined my lungs with smoke. I am currently having an exacerbation of my COPD and feel pretty crappy right now because when I lie down all I can hear is myself wheeze. One side of my brain wants to yell at the other side because my body is making so much noise. Albuterol treatments help with the wheezing some but my vision is blurred from the oral steroids I'm taking for my lungs so my typing might now be so good. So see, the friend that I love doesn't love me. This is why I cannot smoke today. Hopefully, I won't smoke tomorrow and I know that hearing someone else's sad stories doesn't make anyone quit. It has to come from within you. I hope that you can breathe through your urges, like I'm doing now. I do know from quitting previously that breathing through it helps as well as chewing the gum and pretending to smoke breathe. LOL. Yeah, I pretend to smoke breathe and for some reason it helps me. Good  Luck!

0 Kudos
jayebyrde

Thanks for posting this, A Prince Girl. I definitely needed to read it. One of the things I wrote on my quit board (yes, I had a huge corkboard crammed packed on index cards all my reasons to never smoke again) was "wheezing." It got to the point that when I lay down at night, I could hear myself breathing in and out, ticking and wheezing. Yuck. I couldn't climb a set of stairs without getting winded. I absolutely hated that feeling and missed being able to run and swim and hike without feeling dizzy and sick to my stomach. I just put in an hour on the elliptical tonight and I never would have been able to do that a year ago, not even close. 

My Aunt is lifelong smoker and several years ago, she was diagnosed with COPD and congestive heart failure. All do to her 3 pack/day habit for the last 40 years. She decided to keep smoking, even though she needed an oxygen tank to breath half the time. This year, she was diagnosed with cancer of the esophagus. The doctors have given her until June to live. She's not even 70 years old. She is an amazing woman and it breaks my heart to think we're losing her too soon, all due to this damn disgusting, life and joy robbing habit. I hate cigarettes so much. They've taken so much from me already. I won't let them take any more.

My goal is to get in shape (I've gained about 20 pounds since I quit) and train for a triathalon. Hah! I dream big.

Good luck on your quit!

0 Kudos
jayebyrde

By the way, I quit cold turkey, using Alan Carr's book, Stop Smoking the Easy Way. So don't let anyone tell you it can't be done without cessation aids! I didn't like the patch or gum. They made me feel sick. What, if anything, are you using to help you stop?

0 Kudos