cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

King1961

Anxiety worsening

Hi, I’m brand new to this group. I have finally quit! It’s been 2 months. I had no choice. asthma and copd, made it critical. The bonus, I can breathe again, no more puffers, nebulizers, nothing. I still get short winded during activity, but I’m 57 and overweight. Here’s my issue. I have a history with depression and anxiety. Following my last episode, 2 years ago, I’m still healing and can’t seem to shake either one, but greatly improved, I could function, and felt good at times. Sleep was good, appetite good, just gloomy, quiet and a little depressed. My anxiety was mainly in the morning and kind of managable. I do not work. Early retirement, but I have a small lawn business, about 15 accounts that keep me busy during spring, summer and fall. Winter stinks, although I do volunteer work to keep busy. Fast forward to July 8! Last cigarette. First couple weeks, easy, 21 mg patch, no major issues. Third week in, began waking around 6:30 with butterflies. Normally sleep till 10. Only sleep 8 to 10 a night. Now two weeks into 14 mg patch, my butterflies are intense and I am unable to fall back into a deep sleep. I don’t like it mostly because it makes my mind think I’m headed back to a major depression with anxiety. Scared, to say the least. I take a low dose of both anti depressant and anxiety med for 2 years now. Seemed to keep me going, or at least not doomed. I’m hoping like heck, it’s all part of the withdrawal and will pass. If I was certain of that, I’d be more willing to accept it and feel better about it not being headed for disaster. Thank you for reading all this, maybe I wrote too much, but wanted all the background to be considered into any replies. I have a call into shrink, and am extending 14mg patch 2 weeks to try and level off before step down to 7. Smoking is not an option, never will be. Done for life. Thanks! 

13 Replies
stAn3

I just want to say I relate to your feelings of anxiety. I have depression and anxiety problems too. My depression follows a seasonal pattern. Two years ago I let the sudden onset of symptoms be an excuse to smoke. I’m glad smoking is not an option for you. You are taking the steps to deal with your problems.

Barbscloud

Congrats on your 45 days.   Definitely can be having those feelings because you've quit smoking or the patch.  Eliminating nicotine can really impact your emotions-it has mine.  And, I tried the patch previously and I had nightmares if I wore them at night.  Agree, you should see if medications need adjusted.  Glad you reached out.

King1961

Thanks! I don’t wear them at night. I’m glad to hear others have the same or similar experience while going through withdrawal. I just can’t stand the anxious feelings. Dr appt next week. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. You are doing all the right things. Now you've reached out for support. Another great step forward. Keep hanging out here--you'll find you are not alone.