cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Ddjonesy

Another Newbie Here!

Hi, I'm new to the group. My name is Dee. I tried Chantix several months back, but stopped when the new year rolled around. I had to start all over to reach my deductible for the year. Now my deductible has been met and I am starting over again. I have called my dr and she has called me in a script for starter pkg of Chantix. Will be picking that up today.

My birthday is next Wed., and I would like to be able to quit then. I know that isn't giving me a whole lot of time. But I hope to be able to stop. The thing is, I'm getting nervous and starting to stress, just even writing about it! So just thought I'd introduce myself and start to go through some of the articles you have posted.

Congrats to all you Quitters!
(One of the few times being called a quitter is a good thing!)

Tags (1)
15 Replies
Barbara145

Welcome Dee!  So glad you found us. Stay close to this site.  You can do this.  This site kind of becomes our addiction for awhile.  As we learn to get comfortable with our new life smoke-free.  I smoked for many, many years with multiple attempts to quit.  I was finally able to with this site being the only thing different.  It will be four years for me in a few weeks.  Not smoking is the best.  It just takes time.  Give it time. 

Ddjonesy

Thx Barbara!  I haven't stayed as close to the site as I probably should've, but I expect to be hear a whole lot more now! Congrats on your almost 4 yrs! 

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hello Dee----Congratulations on making the decision to quit smoking. It is going to be one of the best decisions you have ever made.

You may not know it...but you have come to the BEST site for support and help in quitting. We are all "quitters" here.....just regular people like yourself who quit smoking....and you can too!

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.....and WELCOME TO EX!!! We are all here for each other!

Ddjonesy

Hi Sootie. Thx for the words of encouragement! I'm excited and dreading tomorrow at the same time! So, I'm just happy that I at least feel some excitement! #

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations on your decision, you really will be happier as a nonsmoker, as you get to know who you are really supposed to be, our emotional growth is stunted by smoking and one of the biggest advantages to not smoking is finding ourselves.  Welcome to EX and please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.

Ellen

Ddjonesy

Thx, Ellen! Appreciate the words of encouragement! 

0 Kudos
afriedh1

Hi Dee,  I have only been a non-smoker for 2 weeks, but I can already feel the difference in my stamina & breathing.  I know the anticipation of the quit day causes anxiety, make sure you dont have any cigarettes around because we all know you will smoke them.  Not having any around helped me because I was not willing to hop in the car & go to the store, which is good I guess.  You can do this. You will have a few hard days, but they will pass & you will be so happy you stuck with it.  Annette

Ddjonesy

Thx Afriedh! Congrats on your quit!

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

Hi Dee,

I am happy you are here, but if I can give you an honest advice: make the decision you will do it and stick with it.

In reading your post there seems to be a lot of uncertainty (I will try, I would like to be able to, I hope I will).  One of the most important things during your quit is your mindset.  We all had different reasons to quit, I am sure you have yours.  Think about that, go to JonesCarpeDiem‌, or YoungAtHeart‌, they both have a lot of links for you to use to educate yourself about the quit.  At some point in my life I quit on my own (I used patches back then) and I was good for 6 months; but I was ignorant when it came to the addiction, and told myself at a party, oh, I'll have just one, in no time I was back smoking full time; and it took me 15 years to find the courage to quit again.  I am sharing this with you to reinforce how important self education is when it comes to our addiction.  You can read blogs also, there is a lot of knowledge from people just like you and me: former smokers.

Welcome and if we did it, you can do it too!