cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gemj

13 days in and real short breath :(

Hello everyone one I have smoked for 30+ years and 2 1/2 packs for the last 3 years . 13 days ago I went to my doctor very short winded and he checked me out did an ex ray and chest looks fine and he gave me a rescue inhaler if it got bad and two different powered ihailers that only used for two days because I don't want to become dependent on unless it's truly necessary. I have not touched a cigarette since that visit 14 days ago and felt much better and breathed better without the meds than I have in a very long time but this morning starting getting very short breath again and use the powdered ihailer and it manageable now but not as good as last week. I have read on the internet that some people that quit have this sob after quitting? Has anyone experienced this and if so does it get better? The doctor said the X-ray did not show anything .

Thank you Gordon 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JustSharon

Do you have COPD? If so you may be having an exacerbation. I would give your doctor a call tomorrow. Often times the nurse will talk with you and let you know if you should be seen again. Hope that helps.

Sickerettes have cough suppressants built into them. Some weird things happen when you Quit Smoking. Have you had a Spirometry Test? It may indicate things that the X-ray would not. One thing I discovered was that I had lifelong undiagnosed asthma. Only after I quit smoking did the Spirometer turn this up! I also have a condition called bronchiectasis. Go figure! Bug your Dr. for answers. If you don't get answers go to a pulmonologist or get a second opinion. They're your lungs and there's no redo.

elvan

I don't think an x-ray is going to show what you need to know.  You need to have a spirometry test, you probably should request a referral to a pulmonologist (be prepared for it to take time to get in).  Use your rescue inhaler as needed...don't not use them because you are afraid of becoming dependent.  Use them so you get the oxygen you need and you are not wearing yourself out.   I have COPD, I quit smoking after 47 years (except for pregnancies and some short term quits),  I got pneumonia and nearly died back in January of 2014, haven't smoked since.  I did get worse over the next several months but that is because COPD is progressive, whether you are smoking or not,  quitting slows the progress but it's not a cure.  If you quit soon enough, you might just find that you are one of the lucky ones and your COPD does not progress.  I HAVE heard of people getting worse after they quit, it is usually short lived and you can thank big tobacco for putting additives in cigarettes that actually may make it seem as though you can breathe better while they are destroying your lung tissue.  I don't know if your doc did an oxygen saturation or not but that would be a good thing to know as well.  Thirty years is a long time to smoke, there are many ways to determine damage, x-rays are only helpful when things are really bad or you have pneumonia or a collapsed lung.  There is only so much they can show.  Please follow up and whatever you do, please don't start smoking again.  Instead of that, stick close to this site, read blogs, make a "quit kit", figure out when your biggest triggers occurred, read all you can about nicotine addiction.  It IS an addiction and that makes you an addict.  We are all addicts here, we are all staying smoke free one day at a time and we are growing in ways we never thought were possible.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

freeneasy

Maybe you should use the other inhalers that your Doc gave you if you are struggling with your breathing and call him again. Also, seeing a Pulmonary Doctor as Thomas suggested is a good idea. It's good that your X-ray results were good. I had an upper chest CAT scan which can detect lung cancer in very early stages.  Congrats on your quit stay positive. Quitting is the best thing you can do.Learn How to Quit Smoking (and Make it Stick) 

Yess

This answers a similar question for me.  I was set back when I found last week that it was feeling harder to breathe when I thought that by now it should be better! Elvan's and Thomas's answers help a lot and I was thinking of seeing my Pulmonary Doc (now I will), he was the first person to explain COPD to me.  I think the big danger for being diagnosed with COPD is going back to the cigs due to a cock-eyed view (mine sometimes) that smoking will numb the effects! I have found myself thinking "what's the point" until I see that maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones and not have to eventually be on oxygen. Oh dear, look at the time - gotta go!

JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX.  You have come to the right place for a new day and a rebirth.

Congratulations on 13 days of freedom and making the decision to quit smoking. 

This is all about you and what you are willing to do to be smoke free. Quitting smoking requires hard work.  It can be challenging at times but you will learn that it is doable if you adhere to NOPE not one puff ever no matter what. 

Read: Freedom from Nicotine My Journey Home and Nicotine Addiction 101         

Here are the links      http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html   and http://whyquit.com/ffn/

Also Read   Allen Carr’s book, “Easy Easier Way to Quit Smoking”.       

The link is here:  http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

Go to http://www.becomeanex.org/how-to-quit-smoking.php#thl and get started. We will support you. You are in your journey for freedom

prjimm01

I don't know why you are short of breath but smoking is not going to help that!  You are doing GREAT.  Keep it up!

0 Kudos