cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jen32

1 more time...

I pray its the last. Anybody that knows me, relates me to cigarettes, always talking with one, driving with one....so needless to say, everyone thinks this is another attempt of mine, doomed to fail as soon as i get upset or stressed out. I have quit many times, I get mad at myself, then I just say, who cares and start again. I swore I would quit by the time I was 30, then 31, 32, 33 then I started thinking, I really don't need to quit till I am 35! My whole family smokes, none of them have cancer or are sick from it. But then I realised i guess, I was starting to run out of reasons why I couldn't. So I am trying again, and I wake up everyday scared I am gonna mess up again....but at the same time strong in my decision.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
cindy25

Yeah, we'll for me it was " I will quit when I turn 40", then "I won't still be smoking when I am 42", then " I will quit before my 45th birthday", etc. You get the picture. My failed attempts were for a variety of reasons. Sometime, I really think it was because I sincerely lacked a desire to stop. I KNEW I should stop ( I'm not dumb) but I liked it so much. I still wrestle with that. This time, I really KNOW in my head and heart that I need to stop. I am not liking it so much anymore. I hide it, I am embarrassed about it (socially and because it stinks), I am sick of having to think about cigarettes all the time (in subtle ways)...do I have enough to last until tomorrow? Shoot, I have to spend all day in a non smoking place, where can I go to smoke? Carpool....in a non smoking car? I AM SICK OF THAT. This will be hard but I am actually looking forward to being free from all that.
0 Kudos
dian

Cindy, you sound like me, I keep quitting and starting again. I wanted to be smoke free before I was 50, yesterday I turned 52 and decided tomorrow I am quitting. I've quit cold turkey before and I do ok until the 3rd or 4th day.
0 Kudos
cindy25

Dian, What happens on the 3rd or 4th day? It sounds like it is really important that you do something different this time -with the craves?
0 Kudos
dian

I'm not sure.......... guess the cravings get the best of me. I have stopped for years at a time but then I crave one and ask for one then slowly start smoking again. At least the pass 2 years after starting again, I've never gone up to a full pack of smokes and this morning I had 4 left and I wanted to quit and smoked those this morning and now I'm gonna try to go the rest of the day without smoking. I know you should never take another puff but man, your mind, well my mind, can play nasty tricks on you and tells you things you know aren't true..... LOLOLOL
Man, after awhile, it's just plain hard.......
0 Kudos
dian

I brought a pack yesterday, have half left today, will try again tomorrow.
0 Kudos
brenda15

HI, I am also "trying again" I quit for 10 months,then started smoking again...I hate myself for that but I know I can do it because I did do it befor and I have learned from my mistakes....I just need the ummmfff to get started this time ..Im routin for us all...
0 Kudos
cindy25

Dian, I commend you for sticking with this! I have used the excuse that "I blew this quit" so many times. I gave myself permission to continue to smoke while I promised myself to quit "later" when "the timing is right". If I relapse this time, I am promising myself to change my attitude, throw them away and begin again! Good luck, let us know how it goes.
0 Kudos
dian

Brenda, been there, done that........ don't hate yourself, just quit again....... that's a good girl.........

Thanks Cindy.......... I know I've gotta quit and I know once I do I'll been thinking "why didn't I do this earlier" LOL

May 7th, so far so good, haven't smoked since my last cigarette last night. Moved slowly this morning, slept an extra 10 minutes that would have been my 1st smoke time and sucked on a straw pretending to smoke it all the way to work.......... I figure if my mind can trick me then I can trick my mind.......... sorta works LOLOL

Sandee, I know that........ NEVER SMOKE AGAIN! but I'm telling you, my mind and body downright lies to me about that! LOL

the wheel......... when I smoke, I wanna quit and when I quit I wanna smoke........... will try to stay on the when I quit I wanna smoke side.....
0 Kudos
dian

The Smoker’s Vow

To be said just before taking your first puff after
having quit for any appreciable period of time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With this puff I enslave myself
to a lifetime of addiction.
While I can’t promise to always love you,
I do promise to obey every craving and
support my addiction to you
no matter how expensive you become.

I will let no husband or wife,
no family member or friend,
no doctor or any other health professional,
no employer or government policy,
no burns or no stench,
no cough or raspy voice,
no cancer or emphysema,
no heart attack or stroke,
no threat of loss of life or limbs,
come between us.

I will smoke you forever
from this day forth,
for better or worse,
whether richer or poorer,
in sickness and in health,
till death do us part!

“You may now light the cigarette.”

“I now pronounce you a full-fledged smoker.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Postscript: While 1 in 2 marriages end in divorce, the addiction to smoking will last a lifetime—albeit a shorter lifetime. Once a smoker, annulment of the addiction is impossible. One puff can result in a permanent relapse. Don’t take the chance of relapsing to this marriage of inconvenience.

NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF!

great site, found this!!! dang, that's my relapse problem, taking another puff!!!!!
0 Kudos