cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

IndependentMe

Wellbutrin SR ???

Anybody on or recently used Wellbutrin SR? I had the prescription filled before I set my quit date then went on drugs.Com & read about side effects... mistake! My PCP assures me there is relatively few & minor side effects for the vast majority of people & that success rates are significantly  higher when using Wellbutrin with the patch than with the patch alone. I've been on the patch for 5 days & I can't say I'm feeling any withdrawal symptoms at all but the cravings are getting much more frequent & intense. I do not want to fail & will therefore try anything to maintain my quit!

I'm looking for feedback from folks who have used wellbutrin & especially those who have used it in combo with the patch.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

The patch and Welbutrin can help with the physical withdrawal and perhaps a bit of the psychological....but I think the psychological are actually more difficult.  Make sure you change up your routines, sip lots and lots of water, and stay busy.  Exercise as much as you can, and remember that slow/deep breaths are great for craves.  They are a tool you can use anytime, anywhere.  You have to change your mind's  direction to deal with the associations and triggers in your life of which there are many!

Hang in there! 

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

I used it.  What side affects alarmed you?  It is pretty safe if you use it as directed.  I would not suggest an excessive use of alcohol while taking it or while trying to quit either. My RX had the side effects listed when purchased. 

0 Kudos
IndependentMe

A couple of years ago I had a really bad bout of severe anxiety & panic attacks... every med my dr tried actually caused more panic attacks. I've read that wellbutrin can do this too... esp for people who've had previous issues with panic. I can't help but feel like I have to try it anyway. I conquered the anxiety & panic using The Linden Method & have not had a single panic attack since. As much as I hope I never ever have to endure another panic attack, ridding my brain of the intense craves & pure desire (esp during this early stage) is equally as important at this point. I must stay free of cigarettes. Period.

I've read loads of testimonials today & I've decided it's worth a try. If it causes a single panic attack, I'll just stop taking it & stick to the solo patch. I guess the misery can only last so long.

Thank you for your response  

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

I can understand your concern.  There have been others with anxiety and depression issues that had to have their meds adjusted once they quit smoking.  I am wishing you much success. I only used it for 90 days it helped take the edge off of the craves but there is nothing that is 100 % .   You will be find stay close. 

CarolinaGal

I'm taking it now (started last Monday 1/22) and my quit date was yesterday. The only side effects I've had are dry mouth and some sleep issues. 

I was also VERY leery of taking it but I was even more leery of Chantix.  It's really helped with the cravings. I've quit cold turkey before and the cravings with Wellburtrin are definitely less intense.

I hope it works the same for you. You can be sure we're ALL pulling for you. 

Strudel

I used Wellbutrin - along with the reading (Alan Carr's book) and the wonderful support here - worked for me! I agree with monitoring things and stay in touch with your doctor as needed re: any side effects. Congrats on deciding to quit! Stick around! 

0 Kudos