cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Ummmm…

I’m so worried that my friends, who all vape, aren’t going to support me as I try to quit. I deal with a great deal of anxiety, depression, and stress. I’m really worried about my mental health and reaction to quitting. I really want to quit because I know I’ll feel better and healthier. It’ll also save me tons of money, which is a plus! I’m just really worried that the people I depend on won’t truly support me in quitting.

Labels (1)
3 Replies
JohnRPolito

As for dealing with your vaping friends, you'll do great.  Remember, it is IMPOSSIBLE to fail so long as all nicotine stays on the outside.  Here are a few resources that will hopefully aid you in dealing with your vaping friends.  Although written for smokers, they also apply to vaping: 

Watching others smoke

How do you handle being around smokers 

Negative support from others 

Negative support 

Dealing with people who try to undercut your quit

Offers for cigarettes

Well-meaning offers for cigarettes

"No thank you, I can't have a cigarette"

And give these stop vaping tips a read.  Strive to fully embrace feeling all aspects of your healing as recovery is good and wonderful, not bad.  Contrary to the suggestion of thousands of old memories of nicotine satisfying an urge, you're leaving nothing of value behind.  Even the love in your heart, you get to bring it with you.   We're with you in spirit.

Breathe deep, hug hard, live long,

John

John R Polito
I am a contributor to WhyQuit and am willing to assist with those interested in Cold Turkey quitting. I am posting of my own accord with permission from WhyQuit.
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Kblanchard1988 Welcome again.  Many quitters don't have support in their environment.  No worries, that's what we're here for.

You may find these posts by the Mayo Clinic helpful.

Debunking myths around quitting and mental health - EX Community

Quitting Smoking Can Improve Mental Health - EX Community

(I just answered your other post)

Barb

maryfreecig

Sometimes it's best to accept or prepare for what might not be what you want. If your friends are not supportive, try to forgive and ignore. They are addicts and addiction means protecting ones own addiction. 

If you set yourself up to expect them to be helpful, you will feel hurt if they are not. Your quitting might make them feel ashamed or betrayed. It's the addiction, not you. 

Preparing to quit really matters a lot IMO. And you can test yourself before you quit, like don't vape around your friends, get used to how they behave. Try not to take it personally. Just my two cents worth. You are fully in charge of your quit. And you can do this one step, one day at a time.

0 Kudos