cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

hopeful209

Super ANXIOUS

Hey all, I participated in this last year, and did not quit. I am wanting to quit really bad, but anytime I think about quitting, I get super anxious. I have quit in the past, and it was nothing compared to now. Since COVID, my anxiety has risen. I have the lozenges and will be getting the patches from my dr. I am looking for suggestions from others that have had the same experience when trying to quit. No one else in the house smokes, so you would think it would be easy. Please help!

8 Replies
maryfreecig

Bottom line with quitting is that we must change and we do it one day at a time. Most of us had to plan what we might do other than smoke. Have you made a list of to- dos? At first quitting is about behavior change and that means taking action.

It is hard to feel our way to smobriety. We are addicted and so we are going to have some cravings early on. Stay busy. You will feel better as ypou work your quit.

Anxiety often comes with the territory but it will pass. 

Welcome to ex. You really can do this. Stick with one step at a time, one day at a time.

hopeful209

Thanks so much. I love the term "smobriety" I have a quit date of 12/6, which is the day I am celebrating 15 years of another type of Smobriety. 

0 Kudos
ReallyReal

@hopeful209 I relate to feeling anxiety about quitting.  I was so anxious that I would have panic attacks without a cigarette, especially when driving.  My anxiety about having anxiety was pretty intense at times.  Deep breathing, in for a count of 4, hold for 4, exhale for 4 really helped me.  Also, i had to keep my hands very busy so I did a lot of knitting that first week and rug braiding, now I have learned to crochet.  I drink a ton of water, chew a lot of gum (I am using NRT gum but I chew a lot of regular gum too)--and I used more tools in a toolbox I put together from reading a lot on this site---there are great craving-buster ideas here.  If you are prepared, perhaps it will lessen your anxiety a bit.  Before you quit, tell yourself what tools you will use, even write them down--when you feel anxious it might be hard to remember your tools right away so having them posted in a pkace you can't miss may help.

• You will get through this.  It might be somewhat uncomfortable, but with the tools you have and your reasons for quitting firmly in your mind you will be ok.  BTW, I never had an anxiety attack while driving after I quit, something I had really been anxious about!!!

Also, as I have progressed in my quit, I've added more tools to use to deal with the emotions that come up.  All our quits are somewhat different, but with some common elements.  Prepare and plan and that will help you as you quit.  I hope something I've said is a little bit helpful.  You CAN do this.  ---Raissa

hopeful209

Raissa, thank you so much for your feedback. There are definitely triggers that I have as well that are part of my everyday life, smoking while driving is one of them. As soon as I wake up, after I eat, with my coffee, every hour on the hour basically, in every activity that I am doing. Stressers at work or in general are a huge trigger. 

I will absolutely be filling my toolbox, which is why I am reaching out this time asking for support. 

Erica

0 Kudos
ReallyReal

@hopeful209 yes, sooo many triggers.  When I went to work I did a lot of things to combat the work triggers--even carried a "grounding rock" in my pocket that I would hold onto at times when I really felt like smoking--I think I will put it back in my pocket this week, feel like I need it!! Not taking smoke breaks is rough, but I take fresh air breaks on the other side of the building, away from my smoking buddies.  It isn't easy, but it can be done.  You got this!!!

cgrable

I can relate to this. 9 months ago I quit, but end up substituting with electronic variations, which has significantly caused more.anxiety to quit! I have a quit date for that set and with each day I get more anxious. So far I can highly recommend breathing exercises, long baths, and reading a book. It helps to prioritize time to do nothing. Letting myself off the hook for not being busy helps alot so far.  

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

Educating yourself on the addiction and having a PLAN going forward will reduce the anxiety of quitting.  Get busy learning and preparing, and I think you may actually start to look forward to this journey!  You will do this one day at a time, so don't be looking further ahead than that.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can purchase a digital version online or borrow it at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: Nicotine and Your Brain

I quit almost ten years ago on my first and only attempt at it, and I base my overall recommendations on my experience and that of others over the years. if you decide to use a quit aid, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as Rx drugs and the patch. Each cigarette you smoked contained about 1 mg of nicotine. If you use more than one form of NRT, be sure you aren't getting more than when you smoked.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

You might want to join other site members by taking the daily pledge when you quit. IT helps to hold yourself accountable and also accountable to others here. Find it at Home (top left), then first blue box.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@hopeful209 Welcome to the Ex.  Just saw your post--glad you're with us.  You've come to the best place for information and much needed support.  Education, preparation and support have been key to a successful quit for many of us.

Look forward to celebrating with you  on the 4th.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos