cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Steelers4

Should I stay on Nicotine Replacement as directed? They're testing my blood for nicotine soon.

I have a question hopefully someone can help me with the answer.  I was told I had to quit smoking b/c od my hip replacement.   Finally I am doing the best I have done on my 9th day and have not slipped,  The hospital is going to do another blood test looking for nicotine and cotine levels 2 weeks before the surgery.  In the research I have done they surgest that you stay on the nicotine replacement for 12 weeks did I misuderstand that When it is Feb 8th and my surgery date is March 23rd what should I do the person I have to talk to is very black and white type personality.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

I would contact your doctors office and tell them about the predicament you're in. You're trying to use the NRT as the manufacturer directs but it's conflicting with what you've been told about your upcoming surgery and find out what they say. Perhaps you can wean yourself off nicotine before then. Certainly you don't want to jeopardize your surgery so having a clear plan with your doctor will help you plan accordingly together so both parties know the expectation. And hopefully those around you can support you as well. 

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

@Steelers4 Off course check with your surgeon, they have the final say, but I've read  in the past that NRT is not the same as smoking when having surgery. 

It may depend on the surgeon,

Barb

0 Kudos
Steelers4

I just got off the phone with the cleveland clinic in Ft. Lauderdale and they said I have to come off the nasal spray with in a week for my next blood test.  I explained about the program and how it works so I acused them of not  wanting me to stay quick when promote healthy living, God I was mad!!!!!!

Barbscloud

@Steelers4 I don't know what to say.  I assume that's where your having the surgery.   I guess you have to do what they tell you to do  .  I understand how frustrating this is for you--you're trying to do the right thing by quitting.     This doesn't make it ok, but I've had surgery and medical procedures over the years and I never quit smoking prior.  I know it's better for you to not smoke prior to surgery, just saying, times have really changed!

Maybe it's just time to accept that this is how it has to be.   You need the surgery, so commit to staying quit no matter what.  You can do this and we'll  be here to support you.   

Barb

0 Kudos
Steelers4

I know about the nrt and how it works but they won't have it. I have been having surgeries since I was 17 and now I am 51 and still having more b/c of the side effects of the drug I was taking when I was 17. This the first one about not smoking for me but I guess this the start of future surgeries. Thank youBarb for your comment I will be needing this website quite a bit!!!!!!!