cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

vicky_k

Quitting again

I picked up smoking again last October when I was overwhelmed with work and it was creating anxiety attack.  I was working 2 to 3 peoples work and I was burnt out.  Shortly after 10/18/21, I submitted Letter of resignation, and I have been unemployed for 2 months.  I use cigarettes to help me get through the uncertainty in my life now.  I still have my anxieties and I have been exercising as well, and my urge to smoke is strongest in the morning.  Can someone let me know what I can do to stop thinking about smoking?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Barbscloud

Hi @vicky_k Glad you've made the decision to quit again.   When I first quit, I thought about smoking a lot.   I think that's a part of quitting.  What works is finding distractions to ride out a crave.  There's lot of things you can do.   I would go for frequent short walks, deep breathing, video games, spend time with my dog, listen to music, doing work around the house (inside and out) and being on the Ex.  Those thoughts will lesson, but it takes time.   Smoking involved every aspect of our lives, good or bad.  Life is going to happen whether we smoke or not.   As the new associations become a new way of life, so will the thoughts of smoking decrease.

In the morning I would drink my coffee on the porch while I watched the dog.  I started drinking my coffee while on the Ex.  Other times when I took the dog out and she laid in the yard, I'd take my phone and play video games.   Be creative and find what works for you.  

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Get back on track.   Create of quit plan  and stay close for support.    We're here to help you succeed.

Barb

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Can someone let me know what I can do to stop thinking about smoking?

Willingness 

It takes time to stop thinking about something you have done for a lomg time.  It takes relearn your behavior.  It takes changing you mind that you do not have to smoke.  Are You Willing?