cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

SimplySheri

Quitting Method

There are hundreds of 'quitting methods' per say.  Patches, Chantix, cold turkey, hypnosis, therapy, cutting down....the list is endless.  But let me tell you that the only method that will work for you....is yours.  YOU need to decide what you're going to do and YOU are going to be the one doing it.  Only you.  That may sound scary, but in reality, who better to know what will work?  Who else is with you 24/7?  Who knows what you like versus what you hate versus what you know versus what you don't know?

This may not sound like a 'method', but it is.  First of all, understand that when you decide to quit, that means no backing out....no leaving the door open for 'just one more', no excuses, no reasons.  Once you quit, you can never smoke again (quitting is funny like that).  Then decide how to quit.  Want to use Chantix?  Great.  Patch?  Ok.  It doesn't matter what you use to help you or even if you decide you don't want that kind of help.  

Then decide what you are going to do instead of smoking because you'll need that.  Are you going to get up later because you don't want to miss that first morning cigarette?  By getting up late, you'll be too rushed to think much about it.  Are you going to drink gallons of water?  Eat frozen grapes?  Blow lotsa bubbles in the car?  The more you have a list of things you'll willing to do, the better off you'll be.

Next get a support system going.  Not just a cheerleader (although they are so needed), but people you can call on when you feel bad.  People who will call you out on old behaviors.  People who will support you yet hold you accountable for your actions.  Only people you can trust to have your back, offer their shoulder, or will walk with you as a silent friend.

Then write down all the reasons you want to quit and POST them on your refrigerator, your bathroom mirror, your dashboard...anywhere you can because if you keep these things in mind, you'll want to continue with your quit.

I could go on and on about all the things you CAN do....but this is all about what YOU are willing to do.  So I'd rather be hearing from you or reading your posts.  Create your quit with you in mind, not us 🙂  You'll be glad you did. 

4 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@SimplySheri Love your positivity! Everyone's journey is unique!

EX Community Admin Team
MarilynH

I'm just seeing this now Sheri @SimplySheri Thank you for another wonderful thought provoking post you are such an inspiration for all of us here at Ex and you are most definetly a kindred spirit, 💝

SimplySheri

@MarilynH and you are just a joy 🙂  You always take time to comment, make people feel good, and bring such light to the site!!  Thank you, sweet friend.

Sheri

MarilynH

💖🌸💖🌸💖

0 Kudos