cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

tryagain

My story. Long term Chantix user, still smoking & need advise

Hi. Just joined today & found reading all your Chantix threads very interesting & helpful.
I'd like to know if any of you are long term users of Chantix and still smoking.
I have this strong conviction that if I stop the Chantix there's no hope for me. I am leaning towards continuing the medication & hoping at some point I will be smoke-free.
Here is my story:
I've been smoking most of my life so it has become my normal routine. Without a cigarette, I don't know how to begin or end any daily tasks. Okay, so now you know my #1 "trigger". I've tried every method out there except nicotine gum. I had quit about 3 yrs ago for about 9 months using Zyban, relapsed, tried Zyban again w/o success. I have been smoking 1-1/2 packs a day for many years.
I had first heard about Chantix long before it was available to the public. I work in a physician's office. When it became available, I was out the door with my RX immediately. I also told others I knew that smoked about this new product. They were all successful. I tell myself I'm having a harder time because I have more receptors than they did!
I am now into my 4th "month" pack of Chantix. At the beginning, I was down from a pack a day to 1 or 2 cigarettes some days, more when I wasn't at work. I haven't had any side-affects from the medication except slight feeling of nausea & bloating. No big deal. On the other hand, I've read the threads here regarding the new side-affect warnings & wondering how long I'll be so lucky.
I am now NOT working & find that I am smoking more often, even though I'm enjoying it less. Not smoking as much as before Chantix though.
Because of this decline, I realize the Chantix is doing something along with the fact that I'm still in the fight.
Any suggestions & personal experience would be appreciated.
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
27 Replies
sandi6

No, I don't think most of the "friends" here are friends outside this site. At least I am not. I believe a lot of it is that people that have common reasons for quitting, or are having similar struggles, they "choose" friends in that way.
I smoked 39 years - Started Chantix on 2-6-08 - last cig was on Feb 13. Quit taking Chantix last Wednesday. Had several urges yesterday - have been really down about the weight gain. and felt that I needed a smoke to "calm down" . Got through the urge and am starting another day smoke free.... Good luck to us all.
Have a great day......Today is day 137!!!! WooHoo!
0 Kudos
teresa13

I ran out and got Chantix as soon as it was available and picked a really stupid time to quit. It's not a wonder drug for most people-you still have to do the work. It just makes it easier. I am back on and have a new quit date. I have found this site very helpful-the wait 5 or 10 minutes takes some of the pressure off. I find when I approach a quit date (2 so far that I've chickened out of) I feel really panicky. I think it's the "never again" pressure that scares me. I am really cutting down, and working with my triggers. I plan to be ready for my quit date this time. Also, it takes about a month to 5 weeks for the Chantix to kick in for me-at two weeks it doesn't help me much.
Good luck!
Teresa
christine2007

HOLY CRAP have you made progress Teresa! You're really getting a handle on how to do this "best" for yourself. Keep going. Just keep going! 😃 I can tell that you're not going to let quit dates keep you down or defeat you again... you'll just get up and keep going!

Great job!
Chrisitne
0 Kudos
shood

Hello there!

It's been A LONG time since I've visited this site and I am feeling a bit like sharing/ connecting.

I hope you don't mind me adding my two cents, but saw your post and it seems as though you want suggestions... Well, I quit smoking after many years myself using Bupropion.

I will say you will always want to smoke even using the medication. I want one now! Even after being "quit" since Feb. 1, 2015! It's hard. For me the med did lessen my desire to smoke and it made them taste bad, so it truly was extremely helpful.

My tips that may be of use to you are the following: pick a date to really be THE quit date and from then on, tell yourself not ONE cigarette more (or puff) EVER again. I have allowed myself (rarely, from time to time) the use of an electronic cigarette or even a real cigar to smoke on the odd occasion. But, the trick, for me at least, was not allowing myself a real cigarette ever again. You break that nicotine addiction and then further on down the road, it's not hard to simply smoke a puff or two from a cigar and then go back to life after as a non-smoker and not addicted to nicotine! Some may say I have not 100% quit "smoking", and maybe so, but this is life and we all just do the best we can to get by. And, as more time passes I smoke less and less of anything! I wish you much luck in your quit.

Take care and be well!

S

0 Kudos

If you are still smoking you still believe smoking holds something for you. Good luck with that.

0 Kudos

PS one little cigar has the equivalent nicotine of a whole pack of cigarettes and it is taken in by the lining of your mouth whether you smoke it or not.

elvan

I did not realize that Chantix even existed nine years ago which is when this was originally written.  There ARE no magic pills, wands, or bullets to do the work FOR you to quit smoking.  If you spend time still wanting one after two years, it sounds like you need to reinforce your reasons for quitting and the things you are able to experience and enjoy that you weren't able to experience or enjoy when you were smoking.  

0 Kudos
elvan

The response above was supposed to be to shood‌ and not the originator of this discussion from nine years ago.

0 Kudos
tonyam7837

Hello I've been taking Propupion for weeks. But for some reason I can't get an prescription from my Doctor.  I'm thinking about asking Rite Aid for an consultation for Chantix.  Don't Stop your medications. Your better with it than taking nothing. Good Luck!

0 Kudos

I know nothing about your particular medication.

I do say, if you're listening to your body and it's telling you you don't need nicotine replacement therapy any longer, listen to it. Test it. See how you do for a day. Telling someone to continue taking nicotine is no guarantee of anything except continued use of nicotine.

0 Kudos