cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Jwm85

How do I get my patch to stay on when I sweat?

Any one know of any way to get the patches to stay on I sweat alot and can not get them to stay on I use a load of tape but that falls off to any recommendations I know thy say put it were there is no hair I do that says make sure area is clean and put it were u do not sweat no were on my body do I not sweat 

Labels (1)
10 Replies
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Jwm85 I don't know anything about the patch but hopefully someone will come along with some ideas for you to be able to keep it on, please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way and you'll do one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths, you can and will be successful believe it! 👍

Barbscloud

@Jwm85 Welcome to the Ex.  When did you quit?

If you haven't do so already, take the time to learn how to do this.  Part of it is mindset and part of it is hands on work identifying triggers, what tools you'll use, what associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.   Spend time on the site, getting a well as giving support.  The early days take commitment so why not have other quitters to help you deal with the up and downs of this journey.

This link is a great place to start

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you so reach out anytime we can help.  Going for walk is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine.   Spend time on the site when you need it the most 

Begin your day by taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time.

As for the patch, when I used them I never had a problem, but others have.  I believe some quitters have said different brands stick better.  If you haven't read this already, maybe this will help.   Hopefully someone will chime in with some more help.

"What should I do if my patch doesn't stick well and keeps falling off?
Please check that that your skin was clean and dry at the time of application. Make sure that you press the patch firmly into place on a dry hairless patch of skin. Note: Some soaps, creams or lotions may prevent the patch from sticking if used prior to patch application. It is best not to apply such soaps or moisturizers to any areas you wish to use the patch.

For best results the patch should be applied to a clean, dry, hairless part of the skin, so check that you are correcly applying the patch. If the patch still doesn’t stick, you can choose to use a piece of medical tape over the patch to hold it securely in place, or switch to a different form of NRT such as nicotine gum or lozenge."

Stay busy and stay close. 

Barb

Maki

Good info above 
 ( Reading other patch users testimonies )  over the last 11 years I noticed patch users saying that brands can make a difference or they use medical tape to hold it in place. You could try another brand of patch or tape and have better luck or as mentioned another NRT may be a better option for you . 

Welcome to Ex . 

nofumarnomas

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to quit. Best one you'll make. 

I've been on patches for 10 weeks and had issues with adhesion at first. I also tried tape to no avail and as others have suggested the brand may have something to do with it. U was gonna buy the inexpensive ones from Amazon but a lot of people had problems with adhesives. I use nicodetm and the best place for me is on my outer thigh. (don't laugh, it works lol). 

Rich

@Jwm85 Hi, I’m new here as well but I quit and started the patch yesterday and I’ve been having this issue too, it is insanely hot here and mine kept falling off as I was running around doing house crap and such, anyway ended up putting it under my sports bra on my back and that did the trick, maybe in the meantime wear it with something on the tighter side like that and it has no choice but to stick around?  Also I was reading some reviews for my patches and others were recommending wiping the area with rubbing alcohol really well before applying but if you’re sweating a lot like I am in this little corner of hell not sure how much good that’ll do. 😕 I hope you find a solution quickly, I know it’s irritating! 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Creative thinking.  @littlesunshine6 

@Jwm85 Not sure of your gender but perhaps compression sleeves might be an option as well if the suggestion above doesn't apply to you. I used one for a while to reduce some swelling. It was thin and surprisingly cool and could assist in this type of situation. 

EX Community Admin Team
Blueeyes58

As a female, I am able to place the patch under my bra on the side.  The band is wide enough to cover the patch and have no problems with it coming off.

0 Kudos
cgrable

A friend of mine was able to adhere patches with ace bandage lightly wrapped, but if it's not on an arm or a leg, idk. 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Good ideas above!  I also suggest placing it someplace that in itself doesn't sweat...like the upper arm. You also might try reinforcing the adhesive with surgical or paper tape over the sides  I have also heard that generic ones (like Walmart) have better adhesive than the name brands.

Hope you find a solution!

0 Kudos