cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

jyoung22

Deciding to Quit

I'm 32 and I've been using dipping and vaping for the past 6 years to replace smoking. I quit dipping 1 month ago and have been relying heavily on vaping. Today I've decided to make a full effort to quit my dependencies on it all. It's expensive and it just reinforces other bad habits for me such as drinking and eating bad. The other day I had to run probably just short of the length of a football field and couldn't catch my breath. I used to be a great runner and now I've become lazy and complacent. I want to get in shape, not get irritable with my family and save some money. I'm on my last Juul pod right now and it will be my last. What other mental and physical methods do you guys have to help? 

Labels (1)
2 Replies
Barbscloud

@jyoung22 Welcome to the ex and congrats on your decision to quit vaping .  Understanding that the use of nicotine is an addiction has helped many with their quit.  I does seem quitting vaping may be hard to quit than smoking.  The fact that you can vape anywhere probably contributes to that.  When we smoke we have delay until we find a "safe" place to smoke.

I have numerous attempts at quitting and it finally took me 50 years to get it right.  What was different this time?  I had a quit date, an aid, a class and cut down for a week. Sounds like a road to success.  I was fortunate to find the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I learned about nicotine addiction and that I needed a plan that would prepare for what I was going to encounter on my journey.  And for the first time, I had the support of fellow quitters.

Take the time to learn how to do this.  Part of it is mindset and part of it is hands on work identifying triggers, what tools you'll use, what associations you'll create instead of smoking, etc.   Spend time on the site, getting a well as giving support.  The early days take commitment so why not have other quitters to help you deal with the up and downs of this journey.

This link is a great place to start

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you so reach out anytime we can help.  Going for walk is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine.   Spend time on the site when you need it the most 

Look forward to celebrating with you on the 31st.  Consider taking the Daily Pledge to begin your day.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1674830442651.jpeg

Barb

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @jyoung22 you've made the best decision that you'll ever make in your lifetime and it's definetly the best gift that any of us will ever give ourselves which is the GIFT OF LIFE  please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb its not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way and you'll do one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths you've got this! Stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can.