cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

musicatokc

Buproprion

I tried it.  Took it for about 2 months.  Made me feel kinda speedy and gave me restless leg syndrome.  It did help me smoke less because it stimulates you and so you don't get that sleepy drowsy feeling that results from lack of nicotine.  But, you still have to use will power to keep from smoking.  You do think about smoking less though.  l quit for about 2 months but started right back up after I quit taking them. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
91 Replies
jimer

Glad the puter is back Viv... we have missed you!

0 Kudos
viv2

day 20. but it has been a BAD one.The worse day yet. I think it's because I'm not feeling well, so I'm not staying busy. Just sitting around, and I knew from the start that down days were going to be hard. I had considered waiting untill I was stronger to quit, but since that may never happen, I decided to go for it. Then went through all the stull with my teeth and was still able to stay quit. I was getting pretty confident.. I do okay when I can dredge up the energy to do a little something.

Since I'm a child of the 60s, will you all forgive me if I'm thinking fondly of Black Beauty and I don't mean the horse. 

Maybe tomorrow I'll have a little energy and be able to get back on track.  

May we all be strong !!!

0 Kudos
roxie-girl

I took wellbutrin for 5 days to help with quitting after 5 days I felt so sickly like I was on drugs ha ha I was duh  so I said I could't handle that will I found this site and have started using it I made it 2 1/2 days now I am trying again back to day 1

0 Kudos
freedom8

As with all medications the effects are very personal.  You can not go by what others say were their personal side effects.  I took Wellbutrin with no s/e, a long time ago.  But, when I tried Chantix, to stop smoking, I went into serious agitation, hostility, and suicidal thoughts.  So, I believe it is best to try the medication as it is prescribed, watch for the s/e, and be sure to let your Doctor in on any potential dangerous side effects.  It is normal to have the mild s/e in the first few weeks of using any medication.  But, the severe ones like I listed above require immediate attention.  Don't be discouraged by others comments, find out what works best for you and go with it.

Also, stopping a medication cold turkey without medical supervision is dangerous and not recommended.  Consult your medical doctor if you are having serious s/e and ask him/her how to stop safely.  The s/e from stopping abruptly can be worse than the s/e experienced while taking the medication.

0 Kudos

Hello

I have been using wellbrutin and so far it has taken the edge off of the cravings.  I quite on 02/06/2010.  So far, no side effects from the medicine.  I have manged to be some free.  My only problem is hunger.  I am always hungry.  I don't want to gain too much weight so I have been trying healty snacks but I'm afraid I am getting addicted to tea.  It seems to help when the craving comes.  I wonder how long to stay on the medication and what will happen when I stop.  Any insight.

0 Kudos
shellie22

Hello all! My name is Shellie and my quit date is May 15. i would quit sooner but the EX program suggested I wait because Im expecting a big promotion in the next month. Something about stressful major life changes...Anyway, Im 37 and i started smoking when I was 13. Cigs have always been my crutch, a source of rebellion, hell, its even been a reward system. Im scared to stop because its such a big part of me. In the past, when Ive tried to quit, I had a lost feeling that was super scary. Im currently taking Wellbutron and I plan on using the patch or inhalers if I can get doc to prescribe them. I hope to stay focused on the program. I happen to be one of those people thats very gung-ho at first, then fizzles out. Anyway, I look forward to gaining friends and some much needed support

0 Kudos
jimer

I all.  I am no longer using my Chantex after two weeks.  We will see how that goes.  However, I was interested to listen to a show tonight on dopamine and sex drive.  It talks about  the feel good factor.  Isn't dopamine what we are blocking is the dopamine receptors using Chantex?  No wonder.  Wonder if that would explain it to hubby ! 🙂

0 Kudos

I am 80 days and counting smoke free with not too much trouble.  Wellbrutin has definitely helped with the cravings.  I have had no side effects.   Doctor says to taper off and I'm hoping it won't be too bad.  Welbrutin is worth the try if you have been unable to stop cold.

0 Kudos

I've been on Wellbrutin for 6 months and doctor told me to start coming off.  I have to gradually decrease dosage for 2 weeks and then stop.  I am hoping the withdrawal symptoms are not too intense.  I've heard they can be even if you come off slowly.  If anyone has come off recently, please let me know.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
cheri17

Hi.  I'm taking Wellbutrin now and I have no problems.  It is helping me quit and I'm keeping my cool.  Not sure if that's from the meds but I'll take it if it will get me off of those dreadfull cigarettes.  I feel healtier and so what if I have to be weaned off.  It's not a big deal if it helps...right?  I trust that my doctor knows what she is doing and she did explain that there could be side affects and if I got certain ones to call her right away.  I just wanted to put in my two cents, just in case anyone else out there is taking it.  It does work for some.

0 Kudos