cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

musicatokc

Buproprion

I tried it.  Took it for about 2 months.  Made me feel kinda speedy and gave me restless leg syndrome.  It did help me smoke less because it stimulates you and so you don't get that sleepy drowsy feeling that results from lack of nicotine.  But, you still have to use will power to keep from smoking.  You do think about smoking less though.  l quit for about 2 months but started right back up after I quit taking them. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
91 Replies
chicone

Congrats Viv!!!  I didn't quite make it, but I didn't do too bad... 

Only 3 days to go for me then I will be an ex smoker too!!!!

0 Kudos
viv2

Chicone,   I still have 5 days, buy I'm cutting back so much, with so little effort, that  I'm really starting to have high hopes that this is going to be possible.   We have bad weather today, and I'm waithing to see if my dentist will be open, I don't really want to go out in it, but this is such a big part of my plan that I wnat to get it done.  My grand daughter came in with another big bag of hard candy for me.  And I want to get stocked up on fruit, also have a lot of the 100 calorie snack packs.

0 Kudos
konabean

Congrats Viv!  And congrats on your Saints, what a great game!  Yes, you can't really chew the gum until you have quit smoking.  Start your quit day without the gum, see what happens.  I chewed so much gum in the first couple days my gums and jaw were in pain.  Ha! 

Now I am trying to wean down on the gum.  Its not as easy as I thought, but its better than smoking and has made this whole process, dare I say, EASY.... so I am not too worried.  I just need to go by some gum the same flavor.  So I get the fix without the nic. 

Please keep me posted how you both are doing, viv and chi.  I wonder if the rest of the people in our group don't write anymore because they began smoking again.  😞  I hope not.

0 Kudos
viv2

Konabean, yes it was a great game, I don't like football and that is the first time I ever watched a whole game. If it is the saints, I'll usually check in during a comercial of what ever I am watching, Sunday I checked in and stayed.  I lved there for many years and still have a daughter and gruwn grandsons there. Went back the year after Katrina, and cried for months after.

I had 2 teeth pulled today. He wants me to not smoke for 24 hours. If I can do that I, will go ahead and quit now. But I don't think I can do it right now. I already can't wiat for the numbness to go away.

I've been wondering about the others also. If they slipped up, I certainly hope they come back.  In the meantime we three will stick togeather....

0 Kudos
viv2

Well i wasn't able to make it the 24 hrs. I am having an awful lot of pain, (unusal for me, I have a pretty high tolerance level) anyway I still can't eat or drink anything not even my morning coffee, my having an oral fixation I needed something, I lit up and unfortunately it didn't bother me at all. But that's okay that I didn't make this, I'm still giving my self that Valentine.

Bedtime Sat  '''"  WILL"""  be my last smoke.

0 Kudos
nari

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I have good and unfortunate news. The good news is that I'm on day 15 and still kicking! I don't really even think about smoking anymore, I am enjoying all the time that I was using up sitting by myself outside. Plus it's flipping cold out and it's kinda masochistic to have to smoke in this kind of weather. 

The unfortunate news is that I think I may be allergic to the Bupropion. I'm not positive but I'll keep you guys posted. I've been breaking out in a series of different ways since Monday. We're still trying to figure out what the cause of my allergic reactions are. So we cut the Bupropion out of my system and are going to see if there are any changes. 

I am sooo happy to see all those that are so happily committed to quiting. I wish all the best to you! 

0 Kudos

I took Wellbutrin during a quit attempt several years ago. After about two weeks  I was experiencing such wild mood swings that I had to stop taking it. I literally felt like I was going crazy. I had no control of my emotions. I would go from laughing uncontrollably to loosing control of my temper  for no reason (which had never happened before or since) in a matter of seconds.

0 Kudos
sunny_sandyd

I've been taking welbutrin for a couple of months now.  I'm on day five no smoking. About 6 years ago I quit for almost four years. All it takes is one puff to get you started again. I know thats what happened to me. I'm just taking it one day at a time and I'm on this web site alot. It really helps. I think information is very helpful when getting off cigarettes. Well I saw this group and wanted to introduce myself. Felt like I had something to say. I believe the more days you don't smoke the easier it gets.

0 Kudos
chicone

Viv - I hope you feel better soon!

Nari - Congrats on day 15!!!!  It's awful that the meds are making you feel bad.  Hope you figure out what the issue is. 

Sunny - Congrats on day 5!!!!! 

I originally said my quit day is Friday.  I'm thinking of upping it to tomorrow.  I only have one smoke left, and I don't see any point in buying more.  Of course I say that now, we'll see about tomorrow.  LOL  Seriously, tomorrow should be good.  I'm excited. 

As long as I have all my quit buddies here, I KNOW I'm good.

I AM AN EX-SMOKER!!!!!!

0 Kudos
viv2

Wow, yesterday was such a bad day, I don't know when I've had as much pain, And I was so hungry and thirsty, so as soon as pain meds started to take the edge off, I'd light up.   This morning is much less painful, and I can tell that cutting back is not going to be a problem, I've been up since 5;30 it is now 8:15 I've had 2 cups of coffee and only one smoke, so I still have high hopes for Sat being the day.

Chi, if you can do it early go for it, I'm in the same spot with cigs, I may run out tomorrow if so that's the day.  

YEA for all of us

Sunny, Wecome and congrats, I hope that in 7 days, I'll be saying I've been quit for 5 days.  lol

Nari, If you do turn out to be allergic to the Wellbutron, will your Dr help you get on something else ?   Sure hope so. I have so much trouble with my nerves that I can't inmagine using something else. But I know the other things work.

0 Kudos