cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

musicatokc

Buproprion

I tried it.  Took it for about 2 months.  Made me feel kinda speedy and gave me restless leg syndrome.  It did help me smoke less because it stimulates you and so you don't get that sleepy drowsy feeling that results from lack of nicotine.  But, you still have to use will power to keep from smoking.  You do think about smoking less though.  l quit for about 2 months but started right back up after I quit taking them. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
91 Replies
konabean

Okay so new question for everyone.. What are YOUR triggers now that you have quit.  Or, what triggers do you fear in the future whether you have quit or not.

1.  One of my triggers I was VERY surprised about was in the car, on my way to work, crossing this specific intersection.  I guess I would always light up there, because it was about 7 minutes from my job.  I must have always wanted to enjoy the last few minutes before work puffing on a cig.  So funny, because I never knew that.  I chew my gum there now and its great!

2. I am afraid of that first warm day of spring.  You know, the one where everyone has their windows down for the first time since autumn.  And then that good song comes on the radio.  I fear that.  But the more I think of it, each season will have its own challenges until we make it a year.  Until we have relearned how to exist 12 months NOT smoking. 

How about you?

0 Kudos
viv2

Konabean, Thanks for some very helpful advice . I had wondered about breaking the pills, especially the aft. one. As for your question about triggers, I know where you are coming from about certain spots you light up. I have quit taking my cigs in the car. Made today a rough one, as it was full of errands and I was in the car a lot. I'm gong to have to make so many changes at home. Up until I got sick, I didn't smoke in the house at all. It was in my lease. Then my landlord got worried about me being sick and winter weather, so he said he didn't care if I smoked in the house. Well I decided that I would only smoke in the basement. My daughter and grand daughter had fixed up one room down there, so that when I was doing laundry I wouldn't have to be running up and down the steps. This room has a comfy chair, reading lamp, cable TV so it became the smoking room. Now it is a trigger. Guess I'll have to quit doing laundry. Ha Ha

Good night  (I hpoe)  Viv

0 Kudos
chicone

As for my biggest  triggers...

1. definitely when I'm in the car... As soon as I"m out the driveway, light it up! 

2. After I do dishes...never really thought of that one.

I'm really surprised that it's not the computer.  I can sit here and not worry about having one.  Considering how much time I spend on this thing.  But it's really not that big of deal. 

I do have one 'pat on the back' moment.  I'm trying to cut out smokes here and there through out the day, well, today I didn't have a cig until 1 HOUR after I woke up!  On the weekends, it's wake up, make coffee, smoke waiting for coffee, and the cycle goes on.  Today I woke up, made coffee, drank  2 cups before I even had one.  I"m very proud of myself!  *sorry, had to brag about that one!*

0 Kudos
viv2

Chicone,   Yes, the coffee and smoke go togeather. I have the same routine as you in the AM, and it's a killer trying to change it

0 Kudos
msjlk

Hello all. Have been taking welbutrin for over a week now..and today..is my first day without cigarettes. I know I should feel good..but I feel strange. Still having to rethink old habits.

0 Kudos
konabean

Welcome MsJLK!  Congrats on your first day of not smoking.  The nest 72 hours are the hardest, but hang in there.  The RX should be helping big time with moods.  I know you feel strange, its a little like losing apart of who you are.  But I am 4 weeks no smoker, and I can say that I am so glad I lost that person.  Anyway, if you have questions, want to vent, or just talk about the process, this is the spot. 

Viv, I see that you have mentioned that you got sick. Are you better?  Was that the final straw in order for you to say enough is enough? 

My mom got a form of pneumonia (was in ICU) twice in 3 years.  I was pregnant with my son last time she got sick.  That illness made her quit smoking after 40 years.  She wanted to spend time with my son while she was on this earth, and felt that smoking wouldn't allow her to do that very long.  She will be 60 this June.  That was her moment.  And she is 17 months smoke free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   She said that she can go weeks without even thinking about one.  Can you imagine???? I hope we all get there!

0 Kudos
viv2

Konabean, No I've been sick more or less for years. I'm lucky enough to have 2 autoimmune diseases. Crohn's and Lupus. Sometimes one is in remission, sometimes the other, and sometimes both are active at the same time. As I'm getting older both are taking thier toll on me. I can't do much about them, but I can the smoking.  So why take a chance that after living with those 2, something I can controll will do me in. ?.

It is after midnight, I've been up since 5:30. AM, and I can't go to sleep. I even broke down and took a couple of Tylenol PMs. This really scares me, if I do have to go to 300 I may never sleep again.

I went to get the gum today, but was reading that you don't take it while smoking, so I guess I'll wait untill after my Q-day to start it.

0 Kudos
chicone

Hello MsJLK!!!  Congrats on quitting!!!!  I'm quitting on Friday!  6 days to go!  I'm already looking for things to do instead of smoking.  I'm thinking of taking up crocheting  or finally reading that book I got for Christmas.  *For some reason I don't smoke much when I'm reading.*   

I'm curious.. What are you guys doing to substitute the smoke?  It is candy, carrol stitcks, walking....?

0 Kudos
viv2

Chicone,

I 'm just the opposite, Reading is one of my greatest pleasures,  it is part of my  "Holy Trinity" a book , a cup of coffee, and a smoke. They make the perfect trio in my life. I WILL quit smoking, I drink way to much coffe anyway, but I'm keeping my books.

I don't know how to crochet, or knit, but I do sew and I used to do a lot of cross stitching, I'm going to start again if my old stiff fingers will let me.

I've stockpiled Dum Dums, 100 calorie snack packs, toothpicks, and will keep adding all those little things I can think of . 

0 Kudos
viv2

Good AM to all.   As an  "adopted cajun" I have to watch the game last night, even though I don't like football,, I'm so prowd of the Saints, they needed this, The whole NOLA area and thier fantastically loyal fan base needed it.   

But I'm just as prowd of myself, because I watched the whole thing without a smoke !!!!!!!   Who Dat, Who Dat, Who Dat  going to be an ex smoker ??    ME that's who....  yea me !!!!

Good luck t o us all

0 Kudos