cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

CRcolumbia

73 days tobacco free!

Good morning! If anyone has not tried using the nicorette gum to help curve your cravings ORDER IT NOW! This has been my number one thing that I never tried before when quitting and it is absolutely what gets me through. Whenever I get the urge I chew a piece of the Nicorette gum and seriously, it takes the craving away. I wanted to share this helpful hint to anyone that hasn’t taken this into consideration:) Have a good day! You ca  do it!

Labels (1)
7 Replies
Barbscloud

@CRcolumbia Good to hear from you and congrats on a fabulous 73 days of success. I'm glad the gum helped with your quit. I used aids, and it made the physical withdrawal so much easier.

In case this wasn't shared before, it always pays to be vigilant.

No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Keep us updated.  Barb

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Congrats @CRcolumbia, that's fantastic to hear!

- Danielle, EX team 

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos

Thanks for this. Question - when you chew the gum, how long do you normally do it?

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@swalls21218gmaD Welcome to the Ex.  I hope you receive an answer, but if not, here are the instructions for the gum.

• For best results, make sure you start on the right dose. The nicotine gum comes in two strengths (2 mg and 4 mg). The right dose for you depends on when you usually have your first cigarette each day and how much you are currently smoking. If you have your first cigarette within 30 minutes of waking, you should consider starting with the 4 mg dose. Over time (typically between 8 and 12 weeks), you can lower the dose and how often you use it until you stop using the gum completely.
  • Use one piece of gum every 1-2 hours for the first 6 weeks of your quit attempt. Try to think ahead about when you might get a craving for a cigarette, and then use a piece of gum before the craving happens. To ensure that your body gets enough nicotine to ease the withdrawal symptoms you may be feeling, it is best to use at least 9 pieces of gum per day for the first 6 weeks.
  • If you are using the gum along with the nicotine patch, you may not need to use the gum as frequently because you will use it when you get or expect a craving. Do not use more than 24 pieces of gum per day. Following 6 weeks of use, you can reduce use to 1 piece every 2-4 hours, and then 1 piece every 4-8 hours.
  • If you use fewer than 10 cigarettes per day, or do not smoke every day, talk with your doctor or other healthcare provider about dosing. They may want you to start on a lower dose and use the gum less frequently.
  • Do not eat or drink for 15 minutes before or during use. Food and drinks that are acidic, such as soda and coffee, can stop the gum from working as well.
  • Nicotine gum is not like regular chewing gum. To use it correctly, bite down slowly on the gum until you feel a tingling in your mouth. Then “park” the gum between the inside of your cheek and your gums. Hold it for about a minute to let the nicotine absorb into your body. Then repeat this “chew” and “park” process until the tingling stops (usually about 30 minutes), occasionally changing where you “park” the gum in your mouth.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Does the gum help with the flu like symptoms when quitting? 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@cressidebrooks Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit..

Everyone is different, but yes is should help..  Nicotine gum releases a controlled dose of nicotine and it helps to manage cravings and withdrawal symptoms (flu like symptoms also).

You can use it in conjunction with patch as a long-lasting nicotine replacement so that you get a steady release of nicotine.

Trying to decide on a short-acting nicotine replac... - EX Community

Better Than Turkey: Using NRT to Manage Cravings - EX Community

I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers and didn't experience much in the way of physical withdrawal symptoms.  My quit was more emotional.

Use this this time to prepare for your quit by reading lots of material on the site.

Wishing you the best.

Barb

Thanks for your reply!