cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

5 tips for handling nicotine withdrawal

Article from internet 

1. Exercise.

Physical activity is a reliable way to crush a craving, according to many experts and young people alike. Bryan, 23, focused on his passion for bike riding, as seen in his episode of the truth YouTube series “Quitters,” which follows young people using This is Quitting on their quit vaping journeys. Going on runs whenever she felt the urge to vape helped McCall Mirabella, who recorded her quitting journey on TikTok and YouTube. She collaborated with truth on a custom quitting challenge, inspiring over 2,500 young people to enroll in This is Quitting in the first six days.

2. Use a distraction.

Cravings will pass if you can give them a minute or two. Purposefully using a distraction to take your mind off the craving will help speed up the process. In her first week of quitting, Christina, 23, said in her “Quitters” episode she would do a chore or make music to keep her hands busy and her mind off nicotine. Baily, a 13-17 year-old This is Quitting user, said “Find something that distracts you, I found new friends and went longboarding a lot because it’s so soothing.”

3. Lean on your support system.

Seeking support from trusted friends and loved ones is key. Alex, 20, documented her “Quitters” story and said she was most encouraged by her girlfriend Maddie to stay strong whenever she felt the urge to vape. Alex would even ask Maddie to take her e-cigarette with her to work so that Alex couldn’t have it with her while she was alone. Hanna, a teen This is Quitting user, said “Try to come clean with your friends and more importantly your parents. They can offer a world of emotional support, and it feels good to be honest.”

4. Find stress solutions.

Many people turn to vaping when they’re stressed out, which sets up a vicious cycle of cravings. In fact, research shows vaping nicotine can increase anxiety symptoms and stress levels. While dealing with withdrawals, young This is Quitting users suggest other outlets to cope with stress: “remember that stress can be dealt with in other ways! Try meditating or even writing down what the problem is and then figure out other solutions,” says Dalton, a This is Quitting user. Meditating is a common recommendation among other users who were asked what their top strategies were. Talking about stress with others, journaling, and spending time outside were other go-to strategies for respondents.

5. Celebrate your accomplishments.

Experts say that recognizing and celebrating accomplishments when you’re quitting can boost resistance to stress and cravings. Even making it through your first few hours is a big accomplishment. McCall Mirabella recommends using a phone app to track streaks of nicotine-free days, the amount of money saved, hitting milestones, and setting up rewards. “Find ways to have fun during the initial struggle,” Mirabella advises.  

Jennifer Taylor
Labels (1)
2 Replies
Cousin-Itt

Good informative post

I doubled stress and distraction together.

I used music early on in my quit, as exercising was out of the question in the beginning, as music always calmed me.  I tossed my volumetric lung exerciser after about 2 weeks out of the hospital and taught myself the harmonica.  A few years later I started teaching myself how to play a Mountain Dulcimer  

I now have 7 Fantastic plus years of living a Smoke Free Life

Barbscloud

@jennifertaylor7 Thanks for the great post.   Walking was a life saver for me.  I'd  walk when I had the urge.  Even a few blocks was  enough time to refocus and to get needed dopamine.

I'm a big believer in rewarding milestones.  Those rewards reinforce positive behavioral changes.

Barb

0 Kudos