cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day 23- Emotions

Technically I am on Day 24 as its past midnight. But I wanted to end my day with writing out how I've felt today. Ever since I've known my in laws I've vaped. When things got too much, I'd retreat to the bedroom for a little vape break. It kept me feeling grounded and like I go to just have a breather. This was the first visit without that. I do not have a long social battery life, and today really did me in. 12 hours of talking with no more than a 30 second period of silence. I read in the best of ex- in the journey to freedom about how nicotine de-sensities us. basically meaning we go through good, bad, stress, joy with nicotine which gives us the ahh dopamine sensation. a little bump if you will. 

well today there was no bump of dopamine. By the end of it, I just cried in bed. I really am not much of a crier, but this will be my second breakdown since I started the quit journey. Everything just felt like too much. 

My thoughts were- Why do I even care to quit? This is not worth it. I don't care. Is being healthy and this "freedom" even real, it just feels hard right now, and emotional and draining. 

I hate that my days as I look back are so high highs and low lows. It feels... uncomfortable to even write it all out, but I'm not sure what else to do. so here it is. 

anyway, hope you all had a better day than I did. 

4 Replies

reading whyquit.com this topic was helpful for me as I can't sleep,trying to make sense of how I feel:

Let's start with the most costly and destructive use tease of all, that we can cheat the Law of Addiction (Chapter 2).

Why torment ourselves with a lie? Why pretend that brain imaging studies were all wrong, that one hit of nicotine won't cause up to half of your brain's dopamine pathway receptors to become occupied by nicotine, that your brain won't soon be wanting, plotting to obtain, or even begging for more?

"Just one" or "just once" denies who we are, real drug addicts.

Whether free for 10 hours, 10 days, 10 months or 10 years, just one hit of nicotine and permanently compromised pathways will again re-assign getting more the same priority as they assign to getting and eating more food.

While most who attempt cheating walk away feeling like they've gotten away with it, we cannot cheat the design of brain circuitry whose job is to make activating events nearly impossible to forget in the short-term, the time needed for recovery.

Let go of the fiction of "just one" or "just once." Laugh at it. You're now far too wise to pretend that the wanting, urges and craves you felt flowed from different brain circuitry than the wanting and urges sensed by the alcoholic, or the heroin, crack or meth addict.

While focus and fixation upon the thought of "just one" or "just once" is the most common cessation torture inflicted upon the unschooled mind, that's not us anymore.

We now understand exactly what happens if we use again. We know that for us, one equals all, lapse equals relapse, and that one puff, vape, dip, pinch, or chew will be too many, while thousands won't be enough.

Be honest with yourself. As Joel says, don't say that you don't want one when you do. Rather, acknowledge the desire, but then ask yourself, do I want all the others that go with it? When the thought of "just one" or "just once" enters your mind, try to picture all of them, the thousands upon thousands that would follow, and all the baggage that comes with them.

MarilynH

Deep breaths @Finallyquittin,WHEW I remember only to well how EXtremely difficult it was at times in the early stages of my quit! I remember one moment I might be laughing and the nEXt moment I'd be snotting like a baby or I'd feel like tearing my hair out or better yet I might feel like ripping someone's face off anyone's face it really didn't matter whose BUT thankfully I made it through AND so will you, you're doing this quit and you're doing it one precious day at a time or hour or minute or even second at a time! I'm really glad that you wrote this post and the one below! I'm so glad that you are reading, I also read everything I could find right here on this site it really strengthened my resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it definitely wasn't easy at times BUT it sure as hell was AND is worth all of the cravings and moodswings and lack of sleep to be Free! Stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can! A super duper CONGRATULATIONS on your 24th day of yoyr precious quit journey YAY for each and every day WON! You've got this quit firmly in your grasp believe! 

Barbscloud

@Finallyquittin Quitting can be an emotional roller coaster for many quitters.  My quit was very emotional and lasted a long time.  I had little, if any, physical withdrawal symptoms because of the quit aids.  Glad you came to the Ex to have someone to share your emotions with.   Crying is ok.  There are even benefits to  crying like having  a soothing and cleansing effect.

You questioned your reasons for quitting, but you answered that for yourself when you choose not to act upon those thoughts.  

And you had a major event without vaping for the first time   Be proud of that success.  Those self doubts will diminish and you're confidence will continue to grow as you move through this journey.   I'm proud of you.

Congrats on 24 days of not vaping. You're a winner!

Happy (vape-free) Holidays.

Barb

champsin97

I have had some of those same feelings.  Just have to fight through and say NOPE.