cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
minihorses

Pet Adoptions?

The covid-19 pandemic has been so weird for Americans.  We're used to be able to doing pretty much anything, anytime.  In an instant we were told to stay home, keeping a job or your business was not even considered.  Work from home, don't go out without a mask...  People wanted to get a pet since they were home a lot or got a pet for companionship for singles, seniors, to cope with the stress of the pandemic, etc. To be honest, even though I haven't gone out much in years so this stay at home thing isn't new to me but I still wanted to smoke.  I don't know why, I just did.  Animals can actually help us to quit smoking.  Stress relief is one way because if you're enjoying time with your pets and can't stick a smoke in your mouth, dog walking is exercise, and they just love when we might feel overwhelmed.  So I was wondering how many people have adopted a pet since the covid-19 outbreak?

I'll go first.  We were looking to adopt anyway before the pandemic. When it hit it was hard to adopt because the animals were being adopted out so fast the ones you looked at online might be gone in a few hours. We adopted a long hair kitten from the SPCA.  He's almost 8 months old, was pulled from a feral cat society with his brothers and sisters when they where about 3 months old but they couldn't get mamma.  He had severe bordetella (Respiratory disease) had worms and of course loaded in fleas. His foster family got him cleaned up groomed, parasites and bordetella treated, and loved him. He was socialized with their other foster kitties, the family's dogs and cat, and around kids. When he got here we were extremely surprised at how quickly he adapted and how well our 3 other cats accepted him.  He trusted them before he trusted us. We're still working on trust with us but he's coming around nicely.  Here's our new family member, Panzer (aka Floof):

Panzer01.jpg

Panzer02.jpg

Post your pets if you recently adopted one. I'd love to see anyone's new fur babies!

Tags (1)
21 Replies
SuzyQ411

Ah, yes, that inescapable puppy pee until full training finally sets in Took a full year with my last pup back in the early 2000's, but when she "got it" she got it and that was the end of those in-house piddles!

minihorses

Is she part pit? I'm just looking at her color and back hip/leg features.  I love pits but they're so prey driven that they're just not good with cats. Can't blame them, cats are fluffy toys to them! Either way, a beautiful baby no matter what breed.  Wish I could've gotten a German Shepherd, I haven't had one in years but hubby says no more dogs.  But you never know.

PrimeNumberJD

She was listed as "mix", which in rescue speak generally means pit. My lab retriever mix (who I can see pit in) is my first experience with owning a pit. He hated men, and still kind of does (except me, we are besties). 

It is early to tell how she will turn out, she is kind of lame and lazy but she is also in heat right now. The first day was a tragedy filled with accidents but outside of that she seems pretty chill...almost as uncertain of the situation. She plays well with the Lab who is twice her size, and does so a couple times a day. She also is a "protector" and has shown that in warding off the evil neighbors she sees through the window. 

As far a predatory, I don't see it right now, but that may change. 

BTW, my wife also said no more dogs...and we got another dog! Keeping hope alive!

minihorses

Pits are happy breeds, big oofy-goofies! I bet she'll have a ball with your lab. They will likely be best buds.

PrimeNumberJD

20200522_185415.jpg

20200521_203112.jpg

20200523_085900.jpg

They already are; you would think they have been together since birth! He is also a lab/pit mix (I think he looks more pit than she does because he has the big jaws). She is melding into the family nicely! 

minihorses

Oh they look so miserable together   Ha, Ha. 

Troutnut1

This is “Agent Jack Bow-wow” but we just call him Jack. Jack was adopted by a kind lady from the pound and she quickly found out she couldn’t handle him. He had some bad habits (like a lot of us) and he needed rehab (like a lot of us). She put an ad in Craiglist detailing some, but not all of his bad habits. I have a lot of experience with dogs and we decided to give him a try. The first thing I did was to take him to our vet where I explained Jack’s odd behavior. On a hunch, I asked for a thyroid test. Turns out I was right. Low thyroid. Jack will be on med twice a day for the rest of his life. But its a small price to pay. It took about a year to highly train and socialize him to people. He used to growl, snarl, and snap at everyone. He bit me twice. But today he is a kind and gentle soul who loves hugs. An amazing change. I don’t use him as a service dog yet, but I have severe emphysema and he is trained as my service dog should I get worse and the need arises. Our lives are so much better with Jack. He thinks he saved us! 

Your friend in Montana5422FFB9-5E32-42CB-BD23-90588DA69223.jpeg

0 Kudos
minihorses

He's beautiful and you are even a more beautiful soul for adopting him. So many people wouldn't have taken him to the vet to look for a possible physical problem and would have probably taken him to the pound or just put him down for his behavior. Your commitment and patience in his training is also something that is rarely found today. He is lucky to have you as his best friend and I can see he is a loving member of your family. I miss having dogs but hubby says no more so unless he dies before me I'll never have the joy of one again.  God bless you for your love and faith in the true dog that Jack had hidden.

0 Kudos
SuzyQ411

What a gorgeous dog!! I love his coloring and his fluffy tail!! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Charlie was rescued almost 2 years ago, so not during the pandemic.  He was actually my first dog rescue (I've rescued many cats and had labs in the past). Even though it was during the pandemic, I couldn't  believe how hard the process  was.  I searched daily on websites and there were so many rules, and unbeknownst to me, other applications  in front of my mine.  Several times, I thought I had found my dog only to learn someone else was ahead of me.  .  So when I saw Charlie after searching for 2 months, I jumped on it (which I thought I had done before actually).   It was a very frustrating experience and I almost bought a dog.  With all the dogs out there needing a home, I was shocked at how hard it was.   I ended up driving 170 miles to get him.  Just insane.  

I won't go into all the details, but it was  a rough few months at first.  After lots of money spent on at home training, destroying my shutters and hurting me several times, I didn't give up.  He's my best buddy now.  This was his rescue picture.  The smile really got to me.