cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Judys789

I'm new here and trying to quit smoking and vaping. I'm sure my pets would appreciate not living in a smoke filled bedroom with me. I'm about to get my dream cat and I don't want to subject her to it. She's just a baby. She'll be 9 weeks old when I get her on the 12th of this month. She is A Bengal cat. I've always wanted one and now that dreams coming true. I don't want to subject that new little life to this nasty habit. 

8 Replies
Maki

Hi @Judys789 , welcome to ex . I just quickly wanted to come say hi , others will drop by soon to welcome you and give you some good info . 

I wanted to tell you I had not heard of these cats before but  like you I'm now hooked on getting one .. minimally shedding too , beautiful coats . I can see why being smoke free is important to you . I must run but didn't want to leave before saying  hi and welcome . Consider posting a journal too on the main thread , more people will see you there and I'm sure happy to hear about why You've chosen to quit and a bit more about you too . 

Judys789

Thank you for the warm welcome Maki! 

Be sure to do your due diligence before deciding to get A Bengal. They're also high energy and can get into trouble if they get bored. Be sure you've got enough time in your day, or people in your life, to keep it entertained and out of trouble. And do a lot of research to find A GOOD breeder. There are a lot of bad ones out there. 

Barbscloud

@Judys789 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit. 

There are lots of pet lovers here so feel free to post a photo.  I'm a cat and dog lover. Just a dog right now.  I'm glad you're getting your dream cat. I'm sure your pets will appreciate your not smoking.  

No matter how you choose to quit, cold turkey or with aids, you need to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and have a quit plan. Many have found success with knowledge and preparation. It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful. In addition to some aids for my final quit, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit. For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too. We're here to support you on your journey. So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track on day at a time. Look forward to celebrating with you on the 18th.
Stay busy and stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1691240685866.jpeg

Barb

Judys789

Thanks so much Barb! 

Barbscloud

@Judys789  and @Cat_Mom_Jen and @ssloan84 

Barbscloud_0-1691500707120.jpeg

Barb

biscuit9

Hi Judy.  Educate yourself on how nic addicts you.  If you are quitting on the 12th, that is a week away.  The kitten will be a great distraction for you.  Other than that, what tools will you use to get through a craving?

ssloan84

Hiya Judy! 

Welcome! I'm 12 days smoke free, using Chantix. I am so grateful that your new baby will be here soon. They are very interesting cats. I, myself, am not a cat person but I would like to be owned by a bangel... I have a small farm in Kansas with 5 dogs, 1 kitten inside, 1 outside, several barn cats I feed, sheep and cows. The animals have been a great distraction. Although, I do encourage you to have other aids for your distractions. I started exercising again, focused on clean eating, and have reorganized my entire house. Plus, just started volunteering for a new animal shelter. You don't realize how much of your life resolves around smoking until you take it away. Please, make a list of things you want to try and do instead of smoking to keep your mind and hands busy.  

20230803_120547.jpg

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome Judy! Here is an article from ours friends at the Mayo Clinic regarding another consideration for your pets-thirdhand smoke- https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/third-hand-smoke/faq-200577...

~Margaret, EX Community Admin Team

EX Community Admin Team