Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to manage triggers that come from boredom

DhivyaaManickam
Mayo Clinic
5 6 413

Ways to manage triggers that come from boredom- Mayo Clinic Blog.png

Boredom is a trigger for many smokers and other tobacco users. Smoking and other forms of tobacco use help ease the “pain” of boredom and pass the time because of the good feelings that feed the addiction to tobacco use. 

This can also be a barrier when trying to quit as we struggle with the question: How do we avoid boredom? Even if we plan not to be bored, it is just not possible to plan for every minute of our day, and sometimes it’s nice to have time when we don’t have anything planned. So, what can we do when we are bored and trying not to smoke? 

Here is a list to get you started thinking: 

• Make a list of loosely planned activities that you can engage in when bored. For example, you can play games on your phone, listen to music or a podcast, or watch TV. 
  • Go to a safe space to spend time where cravings will be minimal. Example: your home (if you don’t smoke in your home), a nearby park, public pool, or a non-smoking friend’s house.
  • Practicing self-talk while looking in a mirror can be powerful. So, practice affirming to yourself that you can fight those cravings successfully. It might go something like this: “I got this,” or, ”I don’t need to smoke and feel guilty about it later,” or, ”I’m choosing not to vape right now.” 
  • Read articles and engage with the online ex community at becomeanex.org. 
  • Do mindfulness exercises such as breathing, meditation or yoga.
  • Phone a friend or family member for support. 
  • Go outside, or jump on a treadmill, for a quick walk.
  • Take a nap.
  • Read a book.
  • Clean something.
  • Sort and organize a drawer or closet.
  • Write down the reasons you want to stay quit.
  • Try a new activity, interest, or hobby.

Remember that the average craving lasts just 5-7 minutes. So, is there something that you can do for that 5-7 minutes while your cravings and urges to smoke, vape, use nicotine pouches or dip subside?

6 Comments
About the Author
I completed my master's degree in Applied Behavior Analysis with experience in the mental health field in a variety of settings such as clinics, school, in-home, hospital, outpatient, and via different modalities including, in-person, video, and telephonic counseling. I currently work at the Nicotine Dependence Center at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN providing tobacco cessation counseling in the outpatient, hospital, and residential treatment settings.