Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nicotine Replacement Therapy and Adherence

Dr_Ebbert
Mayo Clinic
2 9 322

Nicotine Replacement Therapy and Adherence  - Mayo Clinic Blog.png

Seventy percent of smokers are ready to quit at any time and more than one-half report attempting to quit smoking each year. We know that the combination of behavioral counseling and pharmacotherapy works well for helping people quit smoking. 

Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) when used in combination with behavioral therapy can double the odds of quitting. 

However, only 10% of individuals who try to quit smoking use nicotine replacement as a cessation aid. If the treatment is so effective, why do so few people use it? 

Accumulating evidence suggests that expectations influence treatment outcomes in patients with various medical conditions. Some of this may be mediated by adherence. That is, if we have negative expectations of a treatment, we may not keep taking it (i.e., adherence) resulting in the treatment not working.

It makes sense that attitudes toward a treatment impact its use; but, do we know this in the context of quitting tobacco? If we were to find this true, might it be important to consider our attitude toward treatment in deciding whether or not to embrace it?  

Taking this a step further, if we do not have a positive attitude about NRT, should we even consider taking it at all even though everybody is telling us that we should?

In a study of 74 individuals who received NRT to quit smoking, researchers asked the question of whether attitudes about NRT impacted adherence to NRT (Kim SS, et al. Predictors of Nicotine Replacement Therapy Adherence: Mixed-Methods Research With a Convergent Parallel Design. Ann Behav Med. 2024 Mar 12;58(4):275-285. PMID: 38401531; PMCID: PMC10928836). They also asked the question of whether mood or anxiety impacted adherence to NRT.

The investigators learned that having a negative attitude toward NRT, as well as depressive symptoms, reduced NRT adherence. They also discovered that the attainment of any information needed, the readiness to comprehend that information, and experiential learning can contribute to the process of adherence. 

So, what should we do with this information?

We have known for a while that patients who purchase NRT from the pharmacy, on their own without counseling, have worse smoking cessation outcomes than those who never use it at all. 

This is likely related to expectancies and adherence, which are related and low, when not engaged in smoking cessation counseling as well. 

Perhaps we should reflect on our attitudes before we think about embracing NRT for smoking cessation. Maybe there are things we need to learn or understand about the product or ourselves before we take it. Maybe we need to establish a level of readiness along with a “beginner’s mindset” of experimentation. 

In summary, if we accept that a treatment only works if we take it, then we also accept that we should only take treatment if we do not have a negative attitude about it.

9 Comments
Barbscloud

@Dr_Ebbert Thanks for another good post about NRT.  I think too many quitters are discouraged from using it.  One of the reasons is they're warned they'll  become addicted to  NRT so they don't use it or quit using it too soon. 

I attempted to quit numerous times and have tried every aid, including hypnotism and acupuncture.   I'd pick a date and  an aid without the behavioral support.   When I began this quit, I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers.   But with support of my Pulmonary doctor who prescribed these aids, he also referred me to smoking cessation class at his hospital.  And lucky for me, I stumbled across the Ex the week prior to my quit which also included cutting down for that week.

For the first time, I learned about nicotine addiction, a positive mindset,  and the tools I needed to be successful.   The support from fellow quitters is an invaluable tool, especially through that first year.

Thanks to the Ex and the community.

Barb

Nanarene46RrGgr

I've used so many things to quit.  I actually bought a vape when they first came out for 218.00 at the mall.  I thought I would replace the ciggs with that one device and to my surprise it just didn't cut it for me.  I found that it wasn't the action of smoking it was the taste that I craved so I used it a few times then stopped.  The nicotine patches worked for a short time and I did not smoke when using them but i started to have hot flashes and heavy heart beats so I stopped them.  Chantix was the only thing that actually worked for me except the dreams was so sever I couldn't take it any longer. All the dreams I had had to do with death and murders. that was scary. So I resolved in my mind to just do it on my own the natural way.  I feel that it would be easier for me to stick to the program.  Il be able to get threw the withdrawals without needing a device that my not be handy when I need.  Im just starting the EX program so with that support I know I have a better chance for success!! Ill be back to chart my success!!  Thanks Rosalind Grant 

Barbscloud

@Nanarene46RrGgr Every quitters quit is  unique and it's important to do what works for you.   We're here for you, so reach out anytime we can lend your some support.

Glad you found us.

Barb

ReallyReal

Today is 200 days smokefree for me and I am so grateful for NRT.  I used the nicotine gum and closely followed the recommended guidelines for use and tapering off, though I will say for the first 8 weeks I used fewer pieces a day than the maximum "allowed".  I read the instructions that came with the package at least twice and committed the timeframe of use to memory.  I think that all along I had a pretty positive attitude about NRT.  I did hear negative comments about it's use from some other people who had quit smoking who would insinuate that the only real quit is a cold turkey because with NRT you are still using nicotine.  Of course I had a mental/emotional response when I heard that kind of comment but it did not sway me or lead me to stop using NRT because I had read that rates of successful quitting go up with proper use of NRT and I was directly experiencing the benefits of NRT.  I will admit that I sometimes wondered if the statistics about quitting success with NRT were just propaganda from people who profited from selling NRT, but that didn't stop me from using it correctly.  Educating people on the elements of a quit that make quitting success more likely will be very important in this fight to get people to stop using tobacco.  We've got to be able to really reach smokers with the basic truth that having a plan, using NRT and having behavioral support greatly increase the likelihood of a successful quit.  I am doing my part to spread the word!!!

Kron1971

I've quit several different times but always picked back up. I've always been told you need to quit smoking it damages your heart and lungs. As of my 4/15/2024 Aorta valve replacement I have seen and felt first hand the effects of smoking.  I'm breathing better than I  ever had and feeling good. 

Wasik79

I quit several times as well. This time I was ready.  My whole life had to be ready! And it’s been 322days

Barbscloud

@Wasik79 Welcome!  Congrats on 322 days.  That's fabulous.

Barb

pcalvert3

I have read many books on quitting smoking, and some of the most well reviewed books on Amazon talk down to people who try to quit with NRT, or nicotine gum, which is what I am using. I don't really have a plan with the gum, or behavioral support from a program created by doctors like the Mayo clinic, but I am thinking that that might be what it takes. I am not at 100 percent commitment to quiting yet, at least all day every day. I get strong for a few hours in the mornings mostly, then I relent on my quit when I get physical feelings in my lungs and throat for a cig. Or the stress builds on me and I have one. I haven't been to the site in a while but it is nice to be back.

Barbscloud

@pcalvert3 Welcome back. The fact that you're here, means you're still interested in quitting.  It took me 50 year and multiple attempts.

I know there are some quitters that only believe in quitting cold turkey, but if you read the data, more quitters are successful using an aid along with support.  I agree it would be nice to participant in the Mayo quit program, but most of us can't do that.  But there are many quitters on this site that have benefited from the support here from the Mayo Clinic and fellow quitters.  

Quitting is a journey.  Take the time to learn about how to quit and the best way for you.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers.   I had a great doctor that support me, prescribed the aids and referred me to a smoking cessation class.   I cut down for week prior to my quit date and found the Ex by accident that week.  First the first time I knew what I had to do to be successful and how invaluable support from quitters was for me.

Are there any smoking cessation programs in your area?  I know you were here for a while before, so you know there's lots of support is available, so why not take advantage of it. 

A plan for the gum just involves following the directions.  Go back and review the information here to get you started.  This link has some great information to develop a quit plan.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Reinforce your quit by joining many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.  Quitting requires vigilance.  After six years quit, I still pledge everyday.  

Make the commitment.  You can do this.  If I can help, just reach out. 

Barb

About the Author
Professor of Medicine at the Mayo Clinic College of Medicine and Director of the Nicotine Dependence Center. An expert in tobacco use and dependence, Dr. Ebbert has authored and co-authored over 150 peer-reviewed scholarly articles on tobacco dependence and its treatment. Dr. Ebbert maintains an active clinical practice while conducting research on electronic nicotine delivery devices.