cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a Daily Commitment to the Process of Quitting

Dr_Hays
Mayo Clinic
5 8 101

Stopping smoking is not something that usually happens as a single event.  Becoming tobacco-free is a process.  Making the decision to stop, learning the skills to quit, and applying all the tools to remain tobacco-free are all parts within that process.

Deciding to quit is the first step.  People might be ambivalent about stopping for many reasons; for example, they may fear they will miss smoking, feel they are unable to relax without it, or simply do not feel confident they can quit.  At the same time, folks usually have reasons to be free from tobacco such as health, family, and financial savings.  Taking the time to understand your personal reasons for quitting as well as your concerns about stopping can be helpful toward making a decision. 

Re-learning the routines of daily life is also a part of the process.  People who quit smoking frequently talk about how they had to change habits or avoid certain activities for a while.  Experiencing discomfort when changing routines is to be expected, but experimenting with new strategies and coping skills becomes more manageable with each new, tobacco-free day.

The last part of the process (which really has no end date) is the daily commitment to remaining tobacco-free.  Many patients I work with have no problem with stopping smoking, it’s the staying quit that is the challenge.  As is discussed in 12 step meetings across the country, we cannot depend on the work we put in yesterday toward our recovery to get us through today.  Taking responsibility for our tobacco-free life requires a daily commitment and putting boots to the ground.  The concept of “one day at a time” can be helpful in focusing on remaining smoke-free today and letting go of our fears of the future.

When you decide to stop smoking, remember that quitting is the first step.  Re-learning the skills and habits that support a tobacco-free life are part of the process that requires daily application and commitment.  Using the content and community on BecomeAnEx.org can be a great way to keep your motivation and focus fresh!  

8 Comments
Jenn_06-03-14

I agree with this completely!!!  Re-Learning skills and changing routines was huge for me!  It was hard, don't get me wrong...but I DID it!  I take one day at a time!  🙂

Daniela2016

Everything makes sense, now that I know more about the addiction than ever before.

But here is my question: will I ever not be tempted to have one, or will the temptation always be with me for the reminder of my life?

Daniela

Giulia

How succinctly put!  A process, and a journey of a lifetime - one day at a time.  I'll be linking to this blog often.   

JACKIE1-25-15

Thank you for articulating the process. 

TerrieQuit

Great Blog, Dr. Hays and very well put!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Dr_Hays
Mayo Clinic

@Jenn - A belated congratulations on two years of living a tobacco-free life!  It's amazing what we can commit to and accomplish 24 hours at a time.

@Daniela - I hope some of our more experienced Ex'rs can respond to your question.  From my experience with patients who have stopped smoking, memories of smoking may remain with you.  However, the key message they share is that those memories gradually become more distant, they that last for the briefest of moments before passing right on through.  

@Giulia - Thank you for your kind words, I'm glad they connected with you.  

@Jackie - Thank you for reading and being a member of this community!

elvan

Beautiful way to remind people that this is one step at a time.  @Daniela, the craves will be replaced by memories but you must ALWAYS remain vigilant and protect your quit!

Barbara145

@Daniela.  I was in the grocery store today and a carton of cigarettes was in my face.  I looked at it and pondered for a moment.  I absolutely did not want one or the carton.  I quit 1027 days ago.  I suspect you will get there.

About the Author
An expert in tobacco use and dependence, Dr. Hays has authored and co-authored over 70 peer-reviewed scholarly articles and book chapters on various aspects tobacco dependence and its treatment. Since joining the Nicotine Dependence Center in 1992, he and its staff have treated more than 50,000 patients for tobacco dependence.