cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gratitude works!

Dr_Hays
Mayo Clinic
0 8 119

The Thanksgiving holiday is upon us. The day usually includes Food, family, friends and hopefully no fights with infrequently seen relatives.  For you it might be a day you dread, or your favorite holiday.  In any case, on Thanksgiving i would like to recommend to each of you that you add to it a heaping serving of gratitude. 

Gratitude can be like a tonic.  Research by psychologists such as Martin Seligman Barbara Fredickson, and Robert Edmond has found that gratitude can increase happiness, build other positive emotions, reduce depression, and improve health.  Former smokers who review the benefits they experience from having stopped smoking are significantly more likely to continue to not smoke.

And it doesn't take much to tap this healing elixir.  Writing three things for which you are grateful, writing a thank you note or mentally thanking someone, counting your blessings or engaging in a 'loving-kindness' meditation are all strategies that are shown to elicit gratitude. 

So whether you relish or dread this holiday season, take the opportunity to enjoy a bit of gratitude.

8 Comments
Silverstar

I am grateful for Family and Friends, for being Smoke-Free, and for the supportive network here at EX. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

JACKIE1-25-15

Gratitude for family, friends and EX.

Giulia

Grateful for your input on this site.  Grateful that I don't need to smoke any more.  Grateful for this amazing support community.

Daniela2016

elvan

I am so incredibly grateful to be smoke free.  This will be my 3rd Thanksgiving as a nonsmoker, my first was a rough one and I actually spent it in bed because I had broken ribs.  I am grateful for my family, my home, all of the people on EX and all of the amazing support!

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

MarilynH

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Dr Hays , we all have so much to be thankful for each and every day ! 

shashort

I am grateful for my family, for the great people here at EX and the great support we recieve, and grateful for being a former smoker, I have so much to be thankful for. Thank you for all your input here Dr. Hayes and wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving.

C.FREE
I'm grateful for having Dr like you here, experience make the difference...that's a fact.
About the Author
An expert in tobacco use and dependence, Dr. Hays has authored and co-authored over 70 peer-reviewed scholarly articles and book chapters on various aspects tobacco dependence and its treatment. Since joining the Nicotine Dependence Center in 1992, he and its staff have treated more than 50,000 patients for tobacco dependence.