cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting screened for lung cancer can save your life

NDC_Team
Mayo Clinic
5 19 489

The leading cause of cancer death among both men and women continues to be lung cancer.  Lung cancer mortality is so high because it is usually not discovered early enough for treatment to be effective.  Screening and early identification saves lives.  It has become a recommended preventive practice and covered service for people at risk for lung cancer.

Most lung cancer is caused by smoking cigarettes.  Tobacco smoke contains more than 70 carcinogens, and lungs are particularly sensitive to toxins.  There is a ‘dose-response’ to smoking and cancer, so that the risk for cancer increases the more a person has smoked.  Conversely, quitting smoking is the single best way to reduce cancer risk, and the sooner the better.

Who should get screened for lung cancer?  People who are between the ages of 55 and 80, currently smoke or have quit within the past 15 years, and have a ’30-pack year’ history; for example smoking 1 pack per day for 30 years, or 15 cigarettes per day for 45 years.   Most health insurance plans, including Medicare, cover the screening for those at risk. 

The scan is done using a ‘low-density computerized tomography’ (LDCT).   The large majority of screens are negative, or have ‘incidental’ findings which are clinically insignificant.  Annual screens are usually recommended for five years in order to confirm and obtain the full benefit from screening.  For more information check out the Lung Cancer Screening and Smoking page.

Any community members care to share their experience with screening? 

Michael V. Burke, Ed.D

Program Director and NDC Counselor/ CTTS

19 Comments
maryfreecig

Very helpful. I didn't know about the five year recommendation, nor much about the screening. I plan to get screened next year and have already talked to my healthcare provider. 

Curious that screening is not more frequent. Is it the shame, guilt of smokers? Are doctors indifferent--they did it to themselves? I wonder.

JonesCarpeDiem

I did it for the first time a little over a year ago after smoking for 40 years and being quit for 13+

Barbscloud

I do every year and have been for several years now.   Last one showed a nodule so I had to follow up with a "regular" CT.   Everything was fine.

I'm actually the participant in a study at UPMC begun many years ago to determine the efficacy of CT's vs x-ray's. 

Everyone should do.  It's brief and painless.

Barb

Strudel

I quit 10 years ago. I had the low dose scan in February of 2019 and they found a nodule. Through a PET scan it was diagnosed as cancerous. I had a lobectomy in March last year to remove my right lower lobe. It was Stage 1 - with no lymph node involvement. No chemo or radiation needed. I now have the scan every 6 months for 2 years - and then can change to once a year.
So, as far as I am concerned, the scan saved my life! I had no symptoms - I did the scan based on recommendations here on this site. So - THANK YOU many members here and the NDC Treatment Team and Mayo Clinic! 

marciem

I had my first one in 2016, at that time I had to push my doctor to get it done.  It came back equivocal so I had another three months later.  The spot had grown but was still barely 1 cm., so I was sent to Pulmonogist who ordered a biopsy.  Biopsy positive for nonsmall cell carcinoma.  Off to Stanford, who at first were going to do surgery, but after PFT showed severe COPD, surgery was not recommended. and  SABR radiation was recommended instead, which was done.  Thanks to the small size of the tumor (having been detected so early by the LDCT), it only required one Zap from the Linac machine.  

Long story short, 3 1/2 years later, no recurrence, tumor area showing only scar tissue.

As a side note, I do have multiple small nodules in various areas, they come and go, and my Radiation Oncologist calls them COPD nodules.  Some also inflammatory areas that wax and wane and are followed.  But... so far so good, and I credit the LDCT with saving my life, as I never had symptoms.

elvan

I was terrified, mostly of what they MIGHT find. My first scan was in 2015. It was simple & very fast, sort of a NON-event. They found nodules & recommended that l have a VQ Scan which was slightly more complicated but still not a big deal. They wanted to do the VQ Scan because they thought l might be a candidate for lung volume reduction surgery to remove the upper lobes of my lungs. They said the damage to my upper lobes was so severe that l was trapping air & that was making me feel intensely short of breath. I had smoked for 47 years & l felt pretty lucky that they felt they could do ANYTHING to help me. They emphasized that it was NOT a cure but that if it was successful, it would improve my quality of life for 3-5 years. The surgery is a rough one, particularly since it was bilateral but the recovery was fine. I absolutely felt an improvement in my breathing & my level of fatigue. It’s been just under 5 years now & my breathing is MUCH more of a challenge. I was told that the next step would be a lung transplant. I am 71 years old so l probably will not go that route but l sure would like some relief. I am on oxygen at night only, probably headed to 24/7. Bottom line, get the scan, it’s worth it.

Ellen 

Giulia

I had a screening done last year (or maybe the year before can't remember.)  Had it done because it was recommended by several people here.  Fortunately it didn't show anything negative.  I was lucky after having smoked for about 35 years a pack and a half a day.  I'm very glad I had it done and even more glad that I quit almost 15 years ago now.  

Thanks for the reminder, Doc.

meWisconsin

I have had it done twice so far and nothing unusual was found. I consider myself lucky after being a smoker for over 50 years.

Coming up on 6 years quits.

Terry

green1611

Thanks for reminding. Great article Doctor !

Hannahkim12345

I’m so glad they found it when they did. It’s very scary and even to think about it but I will definitely get this done. Thank you for sharing

Hannahkim12345

I really thank all of you who quit so long ago but still come back to this site to help those of us just starting out. You guys are a wonderful group of people. 

rogerblackmon64

I wanna use a vape to help me quit smoking cigarettes 

rogerblackmon64
  • 16925542814636732482016040179212.jpg

 this is what I want until I stop smoking x 

rogerblackmon64

Vape s the lost mary ones are the good ones

kikimaddox11

set a date of new years to quit  

couple days in  not to bad 

Deneeca

that is great

Judylynn44

how do i get screened for lung cancer

Barbscloud

@Judylynn44 You would get a Low Dose Lung CT.  You would need a referral from you doctor.

The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends yearly lung cancer screening with LDCT for people who—

• Have a 20 pack-year or more smoking history, and
  • Smoke now or have quit within the past 15 years, and
  • Are between 50 and 80 years of age

Barb

Deneeca

thank you

About the Author
The Nicotine Dependence Center at Mayo Clinic has been home to physicians, nurse practitioners, Master’s / PhD level counselors, trained TTS’, and amazing office staff for a total of 30 years, all working together to treat individuals who struggle with tobacco use. Counselors meet with an individual to develop their own personalized plan, discuss coping strategies, and provide ongoing support along the journey towards a tobacco-free life. As part of the process, counselors work with physicians and nurse practitioners to provide nicotine replacements and other medications for smoking cessation as needed. We are happy to be involved with the EX Community and we hope our experiences and expertise can help in your journey towards a tobacco-free life. View the link in our signature to see our individual Biographies.