cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Your Tobacco-Free Reality

Dr_Hays
Mayo Clinic
2 7 107

Several theories of psychotherapy have emphasized the idea that each of us has control over our thoughts and our behaviors - how we choose to think and respond to life situations – and it is in these two ways that we shape our personal reality.  These theories seek to empower people by reinforcing the notion that by becoming more conscious of our thoughts and behaviors, we can start creating a more positive life for ourselves; this process is referred to as “reality management”. 

Our personal reality is influenced by two components, our internal world and our external world.  Our internal world refers to our thoughts and feelings, values, beliefs, expectations, and how we talk to ourselves.  Just as addiction can harm our physical body, it also impacts our internal self.  The positive self-messages that lead us to achieve goals, build friendships, and feel positive can become polluted with self-doubt, hopelessness, and fear.  

Our external world refers to our bodies, our work and home environment, and our support system among many others.  Being in poor health, spending time around other smokers, or living with chronically high stress can have an impact on our ability to achieve our goals. 

Reclaiming your personal reality, or your life, and living tobacco-free starts by assessing the health of your internal and external worlds.  Do you find yourself feeling hopeless about managing urges to smoke?  Do you find yourself reminiscing about the comforts of using tobacco?  Catch yourself in these moments and challenge them with a positive counter-thought such as “each craving that passes is a step closer to being smoke-free,” or “I’m glad I don’t have to worry about ____ because I don’t smoke anymore.” 

Consider what changes in your physical environment will support your goal.  Is it easier to manage cravings when you’ve had enough sleep, been physically active, or limited your time around other smokers? 

Remember, while you may be confronted with triggers or urges to smoke, by thinking and choosing not to light up, your reality will remain that of a non-smoker.   Continuing to shape an internal and external world that supports your tobacco-free life will come easier with ongoing practice and effort.

7 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

We Use The Phrase
"I don't do that anymore" a lot around here.

Courage

Who are you sir? Are you an ex-smoker or someone who thinks we'd welcome your advise if you haven't suffered from this addiction. 

JRC

Dr.Hays is Medical Director of the Mayo Clinic Nicotine Dependence Center. This is explained on his page.

Courage

Means nothing to me if he hasn't been a smoker....  I'll only take the advice of those who've walked the walk. 

freeneasy

Very interesting,thanks! Every smoke free day behind us is one day closer to our new normal.

Barbara145

Thank you, Dr. Hays.  This information is helpful to me.

Julieibbo

Thank you for providing this site, and for your contribution. I gave up smoking on 1/1/2014. It's the first time I have ever been successful, I put it down to this site and what it teaches you. I feel that preparing to quit is the answer, rather than just trying to stop. Well it's worked for me, so thank you Ex site.

About the Author
An expert in tobacco use and dependence, Dr. Hays has authored and co-authored over 70 peer-reviewed scholarly articles and book chapters on various aspects tobacco dependence and its treatment. Since joining the Nicotine Dependence Center in 1992, he and its staff have treated more than 50,000 patients for tobacco dependence.