cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

why?

penny-lane.
0 8 20
i don't understand day one and two I was fine without smoking, now I'm on day three and I'm freaking out, I'm about to go bum a ciggarate, why is it so hard on day three? shouldn't the worst be over
8 Comments
cindywilson
hwc is so right, there is a term in quitting called icky threes, it represents 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months when you may have some of your worst days, you can get through this, remember if you hold on the nicotine will be out of your system today, go listen to Joelover on hwc's page. I promise it help you understand what you are going through and keeps you busy when a crave is hitting. It got me through many rough days. I would sit and listen or go to Candid Quitters and read or Giulia over in Relapse Traps, or Jim over in Daily pledge, these will help, also whyquit.com
sandi8
well they say it take like 3 days to get all the nicotine out of your system, so those things are getting scared cause you dont have as much in any more , hang tough you are stronger than the addiction.
christy6
NO...Don't go bum a smoke...your brain is a liar..it is lying to you...telling you anything and everything in order to get its "Fix" cravings last from 3-5 minutes long, wait it out..it getsa better, smoking a cigarette wont make anything any better for you...only make you depressed and disappointed you lit up..and then you will be back at square one...kick these cravings in the ass....and mean it!!!! Go to your car and have a good cry if you have too..its MUCH better than lighting up...the hard part is almost over..remember it gets worse before it gets better! You can do this!
penny-lane.
thank you so much for the support .. i didn't give in.
mrshughes
Good for you for not giving in! Im on day 16 and I have to tell you, the first 3 days were the WORST! Drink lots of water and chew as much gum as you can....(fruity mentos are my favorite)
christy6
Awesome! I am on day 6 and its hard but nothing like day 1 2 or 3! It does get easier..take these cravings hour by hour in the begining...I kid you not I have had to cry throw a fit in my bedroom in anger...but I didnt smoke and thats good. Don't be afraid to let loose, you feel better after. When the cravings come full force, chew gum and literally tell yourself "IM DONE" I have had to tell myself out loud" You are done, you will never put a cigarette to your lips no matter what" and that means no matter what...even if I have to lay in bed and cry or be an angry horrid person, smoking is not going to make it any better...so get it out of your system and move on....the future is bright!
hwc
Day 3 is (on average) the day with the peak number of craves (just barely ahead of day 2). Then, things start getting a little easier.

See this info page Nicotine Cessation Tips (PDF) among other on my Page of Quit Education Links
edith2
It took me awhile to become comfortable in my quit because of all the years I stayed in my addiction. It took my body awhile to heal from all the dangerous chemicals I put in it. It was the hardest addiction I've had to tackle, but very worthwhile.