cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

what's "no man's land"?

Buddy12
0 10 42

in reading the blogs everyday on this wonderful site, I've come across the term "no man's land", used by various people to refer to some  sort of stage in quitting smoking. does anyone know if this "no man's land" really refers to some specific stage ?

10 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

months 2, 3, 4 1/2

its on my page

Jordan-11-1-12

click on dale (above) and go check out the links on his page. No Mans Land is a very real stage.

SkyGirl

Buddy, for me personally, No Man's Land  is like this:

You are no longer a Newbie.  But you aren't yet an experienced, confident non-smoker.  So you just keep walking the walk, every day.  It's a beautiful place to be (a newly minted non-smoker), and you know what's behind you now.  But you can't really see what's up ahead yet.  You enjoy the journey because the views are beautiful, every oasis is lovely and you meet lots of friends out there.  You're in between where you were as a smoker and where you will be as a non-smoker.  Does that make any sense to you?

Oooh, look!  There goes Jordan!

Just thirty days smoke-free and you'll be out here with us.  Actually, it's FUN out here!

Sky

joyeuxencore
YoungAtHeart

I would like to add that NML is a time when your non-smoker friends will think you "should be over this already," and your family and friends, although well meaning, probably are no longer telling you often how happy and proud of you they are.

This truly, then, becomes YOUR quit and it's totally up to you to keep at it.  Qutting smoking is a journey, not an event, and there are bumps along the road for quite awhile.  They become easier to navigate the longer into your quit you are - but they are STILL there.  So - beware and be ready for them!!!!

Nancy

Jordan-11-1-12

yep, there I am... smack dab in the middle of it!!!!   It IS much easier to make the journey with friends like Sky and Joy and Annie and... I'm sure I'm forgetting someone, but you get the point.

mlpepsi517

I'm still with you all in NML.(117 days)  Lets just keep walking the walk!  We are doing this!  

SkyGirl

I see you, Marlene!!! 

And there's Danno, too!  He's doing it the smart way!

Jordan-11-1-12

LOL Sky!

Connie55

No mans Land for me was a time when I almosted started to believe "I got this thing" too. It is a time of overconfidence when you think you have control and you start to think you could have "just one" if you really wanted to and it would be fine. But that is a nicotine lie. There is no such thing as "just one". They travel in packs! And one pack always leads to another. Someone on here once said it is a time of "romancing the cigarette". When you start to think about all the "good" ones you had. In truth, you are remembering the good times and moments you had in your life that you just so happened to be smoking while experiencing them. Imagine how much sweeter those moments would have been without the need to go smoke?

Stay alert and vigilant in NML!