cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

want to be smoke free

dar7
0 12 60

I have been smoking for alot of yrs and will need alot of support just wondering if anyone has any pointers I think my strongest triggers are drinking beer and working in a restuarant mostly through a busy shift after 3 or so hours I really crave a but thanks for any input my quit date is nov 2  thank you Dar 7

12 Comments
kshields59

Hello Dar7, I too have been along time smoker, coming here is the best thing you can do, you will have alot of supporters here to help you. I am using the patches step 2 presc. from my dr. There are alot of books on How to quit and Stay Quit. Amazon, and Ebay have a good selection. Terry Martins Stop Smoking Cessation is a great one also. You can find it on the Web Site. I keep plenty of sugarfree hard candy, cinnamon, and lemon. Tootsi Pops, Jolly Ranchers, and gum. Hobbies are also a great help, keeps the hands busy. Just remember, we are here to support one another. Wish you the best. Take care. Kelly

dar7

thanks so much kshields59 I appreciate your quick responce I will definatly be stocking up on gum candy lollypops etc anything that works I might try the nicotine gum but have heard it can give you blisters in your mouth 

MarilynH

Stay as close as you can to this site there will be a lot more comments over the next little while, read jonescarps aka Dales page it's a fountain of information on quitting smoking and was a huge help to me . I'm very happy you are here, you're making the best decision for you and your health. 

JonesCarpeDiem

my page may be of help tp you.

dar7

thank you all will be back on in am gotta go at the moment but I can see this is going to be sooo helpfull Dar7

lois2

welcome dar7 you will get a lot of support here.

promise_judy

Welcome to the Ex-community. Glad you set your date to stop smoking--now stick close to this site, it is important to read as much as you have time too and blog and let us know how we can help.

XOXO

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

You do not want to drink alcohol early in your quit (or later for a lot of people!).  You do not know what your tipping point is - the point at which your addictive mind convinces you that "just one won't hurt."  One will ALWAYS lead to another and that ends your quit.  There are stories galore on this site and others which prove this to be true.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

kiki2

Welcome!!  I don't have much add, I'm still just a baby in my journey!  Everyone here is great...I can tell you that.  Have been most helpful. Good luck in your quit. 

linda258

Welcome... you can do this.  I smoked for over 45 years.. ending at 2 packs a day.  Even though I stocked the aids... I went cold turkey and was happy to have all nicotine out of my body in three days.   It is all about making a decision everyday to NOT smoke... no matter what.. and soon as each day passes it will get better.  I never thought I could quit ... until I did and then I wondered why oh why did I wait so long. 

More people who used to smoke have quit than people who still smoke.... YOU can be one of non smokers. 

John10forteen

Welcome, I personnally think you just did the best thing in the world for your new smokefree self. You found this site, I'm 7days so a newbie at best but I wouldn't be 7 days without this site.

And about the drinking, yea might be tough but right now, easy does it and then before you know it you're doing it..

Stay close and determined.

Junior7

Drinking beer can ruin a quit, especially in the beginning.  For now, I have switched to non-alcoholic beer.  I get that great beer flavor, but my resolve to quit stays strong because my thinking is not impaired.