cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

ughhhh not doing so good

megmarie
0 7 42

So i was smokefree for about 2 years and 3 months was taking myself out of my compfort zone and i slipped upi thought no big deal i can quit again well that was about 3 months ago and unfoutinety i am still smoking today. Even though i know how bad smoking is for you and i totally have great reasons to quit but i just keep giving in to my cravings and i am so disappointed in myself but the act of smoking is just so relaxing and calming that i am really have an issue with. i want to quit but i don't at the same time. When i quit smoking last time i gained alot of weight and i really dont want that happening again but if i dont smoke and i get bored or whatever it may be i turn to food. 

i had been losing my hair when i smoked before and when i quit it all came back....and even the thought of that still doesn't seem to be enough. 

Here is my question here because i know some of you have some great advice to share to maybe help. How do i stop eattingwhen i finally quit again so i dont get heavier again? please any advice is appreciated.

sorry can't spell lol

7 Comments
Breakinchains

"the act of smoking is just so relaxing and calming"

This is completely false. This is your addiction talking. You believe it relaxes you but the truth is it only gives you a temporary feeling of normal because it satisfies your nicotine addiction. As soon as you put that cigarette out, the withdrawal starts again and you start craving another one. This is the addiction cyle. 

The truth is cigarettes do not relax you. They increase your stress, they raise your blood pressure and heart rate, they cause a host of other medical problems like lung cancer, strokes, COPD, and heart attacks. 

But don't take my word for it, do some reading for yourself on the subject of nicotine addiction. Do some research on the internet, you will find what I'm saying to be true. As for the weight issue, that is something I had to deal with when I quit, but with healthy snacking, more excercise, and smaller meals, the weight can be worked off. Smoking will do permanent damage. 

TerrieQuit

Hi! went on your page and you had this thing whipped once. Dig out the old tools! and get busy you know how to smoke but you also know how to not smoke. The Elders on this site have great stuff on their pages! Read everyday, and blog, and comment. And CHOOSE NOT TO SMOKE!!!

Terrie  57  DOF

DebiD

Agree with the statement that its your addiction talking when you think it calms you. I was afraid about the weight gain thing to when I quit, but I was willing to take that chance....and wasnt going to use that as excuse not to quit. I also started a weight loss program within a week of quitting. While I'm not at my ideal weight, I am still smoke free which ultimately was my main goal. You've done it before, you can do it again!

Today I celebrate 2 years smoke free!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome back!

I remember when you were here  before! You know the drill.  You just must make a decision to not smoke another cigarette no matter what.  I repeat:  NO MATTER WHAT!

Only you can make that decision!  It really IS a matter of life and breath -but you already know that.  But - what you don't know is which one you smoke is going to awaken that cancer cell - it's Russion Roulette!

Let's get'er done!  If you need reading links, just let me know and I'll send them to you.

Nancy

Michwoman

You came here because you already know what you need to do.  My advice is not to dwell on the weight issue (not to blatently eat away) but concentrate on saving your life. 

I don't mean to be blunt... but do you remember how smokers smelled after you quit?  You had your house painted as I recall as well.  Just DO it. You CAN!!  🙂

Giulia

"even though I know how bad it is.... I keep giving in....so disappointed...want to quit but I don't..."    Stop for just a minute and listen to yourself.  And then go and read the blogs of the ones who have been successful and have long-term quits here.  Do you perhaps hear the difference in the way you approach your quit and the way they did?  There was no waffling with them.  They may have had a hard time of it, they may have whined a bit, but there was no "I want to quit, but..." in their quittude.  It was "I want to quit... and - this is how I'm going to do it."  Am I making any sense to you?   

Until you realize that this is really a matter of life and death - oh maybe not today or tomorrow, but... read.  Just READ the blogs on here.  The ones from those who have COPD, emphysema.  Now it's a matter of life and breath to them.  If you don't quit now, you may be just like them in X number of years down the road. 

You want to know how to stop eating when you quit so you don't gain weight? You simply eat the same amount that you did BEFORE you quit.  OR you eat lower calorie food.  Or you eat less.  OR you exercise more.  Or you do a combination of them all. 

I think what you're really saying is "how do I fill my gut craving when I've quit."  You fill it by drinking water, green tea, changing your focus.  Come on, you know this already.  You've been here, done that.  You just want a different answer.  There is none.  Sorry.  It's Discipline with a capital D.  There's no way around it. 

This is probably not the "great advice" you wanted to hear, but it's the truth.  My opinion only.

amanda_100

Yoga, yoga, yoga. Yoga has been my "thing" since I quit. It helps me to relax, and to stay the same weight as before (or maybe less). It also makes me more confident. There are loads of free yoga lessons on youtube, or try to find a studio close to your house. It's pretty awesome!