cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

ugggh

lvs2rock
0 7 8

Failed miserabley at my quit...hid from the EX out of sheer embarressment. I have been having health issues and found out that I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Basically an auto-immune dsiease where my Thyroid will be destroyed over the next several years. Now I know WHY I am so exhausted all the time, gained tons of weight even with following a pretty decent diet, mood swings yada yada, etc etc etc. Had no idea that the Thyroid controlled so much in my body! Anyways, when I was at my Dr. appt last week I was told point blank to quit smoking! He noticed diminished breath sounds, but he told me it can be almost completely reversed. Kinda scary if I do say so. Hard to accept. So, here I am again. I am definitely going to use the patch and lozenges. I'm hardcore and he said do use all I have to. 16 days til my quit..I start my vacation in 2 days and I was going to do it then, but then I thought well, when I get back to my life, so to speak, I will just be setting myself up for failure.

7 Comments
joyeuxencore

Hi and welcome back Luv!!!! Use these coping techniques and don't give in no matter what! The only way to feel better is to stave the addiction. (Also, always post here.)

Stay close to this site and remember NOPE=Not One Puff Ever...and as long as you stick to this ONE SIMPLE rule, you will win....it the meantime, drink plenty of fresh cold water to rid your body of the toxins,6 smaller, nutritious meals throughout the day to keep your blood-sugar levels steady, (don't diet!)......and it will keep your blood sugar level and the low blood sugar induced fogginess and craves away.

....take big arm STRETCHES as often as needed to relax tense muscles and most importantly, take big DEEP BREATHS TO RELAX AND RELIEVE anger... take a nap, take walks, stay busy with something you LIKE and brush your teeth immediately after each meal...stick your head in the freezer and DEEP BREATHE....If you bite into a lemon, the smoking thought will be gone instantly...try it, it works, also suck on sugarfree hard candy or lollipops and one of my friends here says be sure to use the Halls mentholyptus cough drops......Be prepared in advance for it,not surprised by it...Smoking thoughts only have power when you have fear. Face it head on and do not try to run or hide. You have the strength and power to tell it NO...You have the CHOICE to tell it NO. Each time you get a smoking urge, immediately DISTRACT yourself and kick the thought out of your head. xo

Craving Kickers

Did you know most cravings only last 3 to 5 minutes?

20 Craving Kickers

1. Take a deep breath and ask yourself, “What do I really want right now?” Keep asking yourself the question til you figure out what you really need right now (probably not really a smoke).

2. Drink a glass of water.

3. Call a friend.

4. Write down 3 things you are grateful for in your life.

5. Do 25 jumping jacks.

6. Take a 3-5 minute walk.

7. Go brush your teeth.

8. Paint your nails.

9. Get a jar of bubbles and go blow bubbles

10. Play your favorite music and dance for a bit.

11. Write down 3 reasons you want to be smoke free.

12. Chomp on some raw veggies or fruit. The crunchier the better!

13. Cut a straw into the length of a cigarette and chew on it. Or use a cinnamon stick.

14. Get out some paper and doodle.

15. Make sure you are using your nicotine replacement or medication properly

16. Take 5 minutes and write yourself a love note.

17. Do a crossword puzzle or Sudoku.

18. Imagine how you will feel tonight knowing you made it another day smoke-free!

19. Find a video on YouTube that makes you laugh. Congrats, you made it!

20. Look in the mirror and tell yourself “I love you and I will take care of you”.

wishingstar

I have failed to in the past. But you can learn from it.  The longest for me was 30 days free. I have used just about every aid out their.. I remember what it I felt like to be smoke free.

Found this site , did the reading, so glad I did. Going on 3rd day of fredom from the addiction. No aids this time:  just knowlege and support.  I'm afirm beliver in what ever it takes for your self, bacuse every one is diffrent. Good luck. If I do have a urge  a little self talk about why you don't smoke and deep breaths , or finding something to do, helps.

MrsP2

What a wonderful,caring response to this young lady who is having  problems with her quit. You said it all, I just want her to know that I am praying for her.

Don't give up and keep looking up !!!

Linda 

hotmomma0210

You haven't failed until you are done with trying to QUIT!  As long as you're still trying to quit, you are doing the right thing.  Keep your head up... find something else to do other than light up.  Best of luck and prayers coming your way!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome Back!

We are ALWAYS glad to see anyone who wants to quit smoking!

I hope you will take the time to read the material previously linked for you here.  I especially want to recommend Allen Carr's book.  It is so important to understand what nicotine does to your mind and body.  Check out the blogs and responses here, too - there is a wealth of experience here!

Do your readings, make your plan, and get started again.  It isn't easy, but it IS doable - and it is SO worth everything you will need to invest to be successful.

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

Nyima_1.6.13

I have Hashimoto's syndrome also! It's extremely common and no biggy! Once you start the meds, they do the thyroid work and start very quickly!

Congrats on getting back on the horse! You can do this and we will offer as much support as possible!

lvs2rock

Thank you all so much for all the wonderfully supportive and kind words. : )  Yesterday I did it! I am now a NONSMOKER..and I am loving it! I do not miss the never ending coughing. I know its been less than 48 hours but I am not coughing! Ok just a tiny bit earlier today. My brain is fuzzy but then again my back meds do that anyways! I need some suggestions for this one little problem I have. I  get into these how can I explain it, energetic fits, like I had a couple pots of coffee and I cannot stop it! Those are also the times that I eat eat eat! It lasts for hours! not minutes...I cant exactly go for a walk or exercise....eventually it came time to do my stretches again. I cant just do them all the time it happens .. I would be overdoing it..maybe I should talk to my PT for ideas? I am rambling again lol Again thank you all for you warmth & caring. It was these posts you all made that helped me get the courage back to kick this drug addiction to nicotine. I actually crushed and entire pack when I got doen reading EASYWAY for the 3rd time. Threw out my Ecig as well and all the patches I had. They always made it more difficult. ok shutting up now lol