cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

tomorrow i quit

kent318
0 10 133

and im out of cigs today but i want one before i quit.I was accually thinking of buying a pack but i really cant afford to throw a whole pack away for one cig i guess u always have craveings.I know it cant be helpful to smoke just fighting my inner dialog.

10 Comments
Nyima_1.6.13

September fifth seems like a good day to quit!?! If you decide to go buy a pack, you need to destroy any left overs....it will be way to tempting if you keep them around! Let us know what you decide!?!

kent318

ya i did that the other day and failed to quit so i don't think its very good i hadnt started here yet tho if i can hang on i think ill have a better base tomorrow ive only had two cigs today but i have a bad chest infection i just got out of the hospital for i just cant smoke anymore it hurts so im trying so hard not to on top of it im in a stressful time with my fiance and when she snaps at me i really want one idk how ill hold my toung if i cant smoke.Thanks for the reply btw

Sootie

That "last minute" countdown to the quit is always a killer...you're quitting tomorrow---but you don't have enough cigs left until tomorrow----so you buy another pack and then think---well, I 'll just smoke all these and THEN quit----but that pack only takes you to late afternoon and you don't want to quit late afternoon ----and on and on. I've been there....we ALL have.

The reason this is happening is becuase you are an addict...we all are. But we have learned not to "live around the number of smokes we have". It is hard....no sense saying it is not. But it is so worth it when you finally no longer NEED to smoke...and make no mistake about it...you do not WANT to smoke---you just need to.

So glad you decided to join us here at EX...you will be so glad you did. WELCOME to the community.

rizza

Welcome! I think that you are going to do this! Chest infection is awful, but maybe you can look at it and say, maybe there is a reason that I am sick , and out of cigarettes....hmmmm.....IT IS THE RIGHT TIME TO BE A NON SMOKER!  🙂 I am looking forward to reading your first post! you can do this. No doubt.

marilyn_marmac

LOL..I read your post and had Deja Vu!  Judging from the other post, it seems like a normal issue.  I guess the only way to actually have that last cigarette is to just say NO!, I'm not going to have another and make the one you finished your last one.  Look at it as being 1 day ahead of the game 🙂 On that note, welcome to EX!  I still a newbie, on day 36, but I can tell you I'm proud of each of those 36 days. I look forward to your countup of smoke free days ...you can do it!

YoungAtHeart

You've joined us a bit late, but it's never too late to get yourself an education,  It will help you immensely in your quit.  You CAN do this.  Let us help!

The most important thing you can do is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version or it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might also want to visit quitsmokingonline.com, and whyquit.com.

The idea is to distract yourself through the cravings.  Don't let that thought rattle around in your head alone!  A crave will last about three minutes whether you smoke or not.  Go for a brisk walk, march in place, do a few jumping jacks, clean a drawer, do a crossword puzzle, play a computer game...Here are links to lists of 114 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/03/03/additions-to-the-list-o...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette.  NO!"  Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us and ask for advice and support as you need it. We all here want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

kent318

Thanks for all the nice replys.I was weak and couldnt take it so i went to the tobbacco store i was talking to the lady and explained my situation as i was handing her my cash.She smiled and said have a nice day and handed me one of hers and my cash back.i been trying for ten yrs to stop my friends all just say you been saying that for ten yrs lol. and really who can blame them even the smoking cessation class at the hospital gave up on me lol.what gives me a lot of hope is my 40 yr smoker aunt stopped after all this time i never thought she could.im trying to get ahold of her too.Thank you all for the support and advice and i really do feel like i got this sick for a reson and its my time i can do it.

kent318

thanks young at heart very helpful.

Michwoman

Hey stay here and keep typing. Also visit whyquit.com - you will love the short videos I promise!! Ya gotta start somewhere right??? You enlisted in our Army - now we welcome you with open arms and want you to STAY.

SarahP

If you needed a sign that today is your quit day, you got it from the lady at the tobacco store. A smoker herself, and she did something to help you quit!  That's wonderful! 

Take advantage of it. You need to quit, you're too sick to keep smoking. You can do it!  Withdrawal is uncomfortable, but totally manageable. You just have to decide you're going to do it and then see it through!

In youngatheart's reply above she gave you the link to a book by Allen Carr -- go download it and start reading. Right now. You'll be amazed. 

YOU CAN DO THIS!