cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

rewards

bonniebee
0 5 13

In tracking my cigarette cravings I really notice how much I have used cigarettes as a reward . Whenever I finish a task like washing the dishes or vacuuming I have a crave for a cigarette. I think that is why I have hung on to the one smoke time a day it is like a reward for not smoking the rest of the day . I am quickly approaching the day to end that little "reward " and realize it is NOT a reward at all but a hindrance in my ability to become an EX smoker .Now I have been taking big breaths through the straw and feeling a sense of relaxation when I do it but knowing I am breathing clean air !

5 Comments
annb
The "reward" cig is a tough one! But it really wasn't a reward - it was just relieving the withdrawal we were experiencing after being busy with something else while our nicotine level dropped! Kinda takes the romance out of it doesn't it!!! Lol
candu2

Yeah, I was a "reward" smoker too.  Now I'm having to think in terms of long term rewards.  My "reward" for not smoking is better breathing and is also beginning to be more energy.

Best wishes to you - you can do this!

Storm.3.1.14

I'm glad to see you making discoveries, Bonnie! It certainly will help. I have read how you are clutching at that half-smoke with all your life, and I'm not the only one here who has been concerned about you not letting go. But, YOU have to do that. None of us can come up to New Hampshire and slap that singed cigarette from your hand. YOU have to do that, and you HAVE to finally do that on the day you have chosen. The more discoveries you make now, the easier that will be to do when the time comes.

Barbara145

I too hope you lose that puff or two!  It is not helpful!  Take the plunge and stay close to us.  You can do this.  I did it after smoking for 52 years.  If I did it I promise you can too.

bonniebee

Tthanks for all the encouragement ! Today has been a more difficult day I had alot of cravings and weak moments. My son is having problems, his wife wants a divorce and has kicked him and  out he is very hurt and emotional right now and lives far away ....always something.... last year when I was quitting my best friend died  from cancer and I went back to Martha's Vineyard (My original Home } to take care of her and I began smoking again. I have to learn to cope with stress and loss without the cigarettes .

About the Author
I am the Mother of 4 children , a Grandmother and Great Grandmother . I am a retired LNA /CNA and I live in South Western New Hampshire . I am a native of Martha's Vineyard Island . My room mate Karen and I have 6 pets : Two dogs Lily and Jonah, one cat Olivia, two bunnies Lila and Emma and one guinea pig Allie . I enjoy reading ,knitting, walking, especially in the woods, at the river or the beach I also like taking photographs with my camera . I miss my family and my Island .